Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg upkeep

Options
I'm relatively new, as I just got my egg for a bday back in late February. Since then, I've been using it non stop. Sometimes grilling something up quick every night. The wife thinks I'm nuts, as I'm sure the neighbors are as well. I've only done a handful of long cooks since having it. Already it's looking like a seasoned vet. I was just curious as of what state everyone's egg was in. I'm definitely a bit on the lazy side as far as cleaning it goes. (I'm adding flavor, right?). And I haven't quite picked up the habit of using a drip pan. I've only cooked indirect so far....yeah, yeah, I know...so you can only imagine.

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    First off, we need pics.  If the wife thinks you are nuts now, wait til you stop the family from eating until you take pics.  That pushed Mrs. TJ over the edge at the beginning. 

Not sure I follow.  "Grilling something up quick"  and "I've only cooked indirect so far" don't quite go together.  Anyway, if you are not using a drip pan on indirect cooks, you can cover the platesetter in foil to avoid the mess and bad flavor from burning drippings on the next cook  Need more detail.  Welcome, and look forward to more posts.
    Bshults1 Posts: 145
    Options
    Indirect as I've only done wings and pork chops, so nothing involving a cook time of over an hour. I'd include a pic but the egg is preoccupied right now. ;)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    As I remembered too late last week while doing white chili, when doing anything in an open dutch oven, ball up some aluminum foil and scrape the crud off the inside of the dome. (unless you think of it as a seasoning)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Bshults1 said:
    Indirect as I've only done wings and pork chops, so nothing involving a cook time of over an hour. I'd include a pic but the egg is preoccupied right now. ;)
    Welcome to the forum!

So you've had your BGE since Feb, used it almost non-stop and all you're eating is wings and pork chops? It's time to branch out a bit! 
    :D
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I'm adding flavor, right? Has worked for me the past 7 years.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.