Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flat Iron Success

Options
3sheets
3sheets Posts: 81

2# flat iron steak from Krogers. Cooked 4 minutes on each side direct at around 500 degrees.  SWMBO liked it and she is not a big steak fan. Will do this again for sure.

Location 33.537588, -83.969298 (33.5 miles and 41 minutes SE of the Mothership)

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Looks good. Did you marinade the meat before cooking?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options

I marinaded the steaks using a recipe I found on Kroger's web site for Black Pepper Flat Iron steaks.

Ingredients:
    1 Flat Iron Steak
    2 onions, sliced
    1 cup red wine vinegar
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1 Tbsp. chopped fresh oregano
    1 Tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
    1/2 tsp. hot sauce
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 Tbsp. coarse ground black pepper<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Directions:
    Place steak into a large resealable bag.

Combine next 8 ingredients and pour into bag. Refrigerate and allow to marinate for 3 hours, shaking bag occasionally.

Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Sprinkle 1 Tbsp. pepper over each side of steak. Grill covered over medium heat 10-14 minutes for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Do not overcook. Slice crosswise into thin slices. Serves 4.

Location 33.537588, -83.969298 (33.5 miles and 41 minutes SE of the Mothership)