Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoker vs cyberq wifi

Options
I've been reading/searching on this forum and several others (naked  whiz)  about the Stoker and the CyberQ wifi. At this point it seems like the products are virtually identical with the exception that the stoker can manage multiple pits. I dont own multiple pits so its a dead even draw for me. The Stoker unit seems to be much more rugged in its construction but I've heard customer services is an issue. Now for the questions:

Do any of you guys have experience with both units and is one better than the other?
Are there any intangibles for either unit - better software/better mods?
Anyone have any issues with either of these units?

In the grand scheme of things $400 for a temp controller is small in the terms of the BGE budget. On the flipside when I spend $400 for something that blows air on the lump, I want to make sure I make the right decision. Thanks for any and all help!

Comments

• HorseMover
    Options
    Sorry not much help here.  I looked hard at the Cyber Q and have heard pretty solid reviews once set up but have heard that the interface is brutal and extremely challenging to get up and running.  After that it sounds like it works like a charm.  I decided to wait and just use my Maverick and baby sit the egg while enjoying cold beverages.  It has been a good decision for now and I am amazed at how little it requires after regulated.  I may add one down the road as it would come in handy shuttling around the kids which seems like a full time job on the weekends.  Good luck with your decision.
    Albion, PA
  • thailandjohn
    Options
    I have use the Stoker for several years and I love it. I really don't have any information on any of the other units
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    In a similiar quandry at the moment. appreciate the input.
    Cookin in Texas
  • Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I have the guru and I found the setup to simple as long as you read the directions. Sorry but I have never used the Stoker so can not comment there. All I can say is I love my guru it is reliable and easy to use. 

Something tells me you wont go wrong with either of these units. 
  • Tbonez3858
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys..I was leaning towards the CyberQ but the Stoker has more of an industrial strength case. CyberQ states the reason they use ABS plastic is for wireless strength. Metal does have an impact on wireless range but it is so small its ridiculous. Almost all of the major manufacturers that make wireless equipment for large companies put them in metal and not plastic. I have a feeling that it has more to do with cost savings and much less to do with testable wireless coverage ranges.

I've heard there are really good after market programs for the CyberQ. Anyone used any of these programs?
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options

I've had a stokers for several years and love it. Mine got wet and had a few problems. I talked to the owner and he sent me a brand new unit and temp probes including shipping. Very happy.

Now I have a bucket to put over it :D

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys..I was leaning towards the CyberQ but the Stoker has more of an industrial strength case. CyberQ states the reason they use ABS plastic is for wireless strength. Metal does have an impact on wireless range but it is so small its ridiculous. Almost all of the major manufacturers that make wireless equipment for large companies put them in metal and not plastic. I have a feeling that it has more to do with cost savings and much less to do with testable wireless coverage ranges.

I've heard there are really good after market programs for the CyberQ. Anyone used any of these programs?
    If there's a metal case you need an external antenna - the metal makes a Faraday cage.  
    Options
    My stoker has an external antenna.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• dougbacker
    Options
    I have a Cyber-Q and love it, Customer service(Lisa Jo) is GREAT, I am puter 2pid and got it up and running. As you can see from my signature line I am a amateur radio operator, RF will NOT transmit through metal. Although the Cyber-Q is plastic it is vary well made. Pit Pal is a vary cool little app for android, Just wish they would get going with the app for iPhone

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I am tagging along here. After lat nights cook with temps all over the place and no sleep it wi either be a controller or noore overnight.

Leaning towards the cyber-que. Xmas is coming.

Garnerville, NY
  • jgdusc
    jgdusc Posts: 22
    Options

I went through this exact same scenario a year ago when I was in the market.  Extensive research revealed not much difference FOR ME with the exception of number of pits controlled.  Since I have several eggs I went with the stoker.  I have enjoyed using it and the ability to control the pit from anywhere was a life saver twice when events ran long and cooks needed to be altered.  That being said the ramp down feature on the cyberq would have done much the same thing, however it is nice to be able to peak at temps when you want to from anywhere.

One thing I failed to uncover is the fan speed.  My neighbor went the digiq and the fan speed is variable.  The stoker is either on or off. 

I haven't used it to control multiple pits yet but like having the option, just in case.

One other note is the full time adaptive control algorithm.  Don think the stoker does that.  But very effective at maintaing temp.

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, Stoker Wifi, White Thermapen, Igrill---Gilbert SC