Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

electric starters

BGEBrian
BGEBrian Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone use those electric starters for their lump? Are their any drawbacks to using it? It seems to work fine for me. Is it slower than using MAPP?[p]any help would be appreciated.[p]

Comments

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    I have used everything but an electric starter. Currently hooked on the 'golf club'.[p]Toy Man
  • GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    BGEBrian,[p]They work great.....that is till you forget you left it plugged in and go answer the phone or get another beer and talk to a neighbor.[p]I would set a timer for 8 minutes if I used one again.[p]Personally, I use MAPP or Eco-Start.[p]Cheers,[p]GrillMeister

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Tired Jim
    Tired Jim Posts: 39
    BGEBrian,I have used a BGE electric starter for about a year and have had excellent results.

• BGEBrian, next time you're in Walmart pick up a bottle of "Green Heat". Best and easiest starter I have ever tried. I threw me electric starter in the trash after using the Heat.[p]Good luck,
    Van

• BGEBrian,
    I've tried several methods and settled for the green gel. [p]The electric starter worked OK until I got careless one time and set it on the edge of my BGE and burnt thur the felt gasket. I mentioned this incident on the BGE Forum and instantly had several people offer to send me some pieces of their leftover gasket to patch in my burnt parts. The Naked Whiz had it to me in about three days. That is when I learned how nice and caring the people on the BGE Forum are. [p]I tried the MAPP golf club torch and the wood product starter cubes but really like the green gel the best. [p]Good luck, Mark from Utah

• haywyre
    haywyre Posts: 165
    -1279981945.gif
    <p />Mark from Utah,
    I used the GreenHeat for a while, but this weekend I won two bottles of eco-Start form Picnic. It have a more translucent appearance to GreenHeat. The EcoStart Definately get hotter and starts faster than my Green Heat. They basically look the same and smell the same.