Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2nd Go at Spatchcock

CP92
CP92 Posts: 318
edited September 2013 in EggHead Forum
So made a second run at a spatchcock.  Spatched the chook on Fri evening and got it in the spare fridge.  Nice and dry when I pulled it out as I got the fire going.  Just some EVOO and some left over rub I'd made for a BB.  Lit the fire and took advice to not stress too much about temp fluctuation.  Looked to dial it in at 450 and stayed with +/- 25 or so with one exception mid way through the cook with for some reason it ran up to about 525.  No freak out just made a few small adjustments and that was that.  I had a big chook too, 8+lbs so took a bit longer than I thought it would; somewhere beyond an hour.  Checked the temp at 45 mins and breast was at 135.  I still think I pulled it a bit early, depending on where I checked the breast I was at either 164 or 155ish.  Was good none the less.  I have to admit I hate chicken.  I think it's the most tasteless meat that exists.  But it's good for you and cheap and the SWMBO loves it so I'm sure it'll be a staple.  Think I'm on my way.  I did try putting a roasting pan on the plate setter resting on some tin foil balls.  Still a ton of smoke.  Guess it is what it is.  Do y'all get that much when you go direct?

imageimageimage
Chris
LBGE
Hughesville, MD

Comments

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    Chicken looks terrific! You can get a lot of smoke like that if the plate setter is a little dirty from previous cooks. If that isn't the problem, you can also try elevating the drip pan off your plate setter. This will keep the juices from burning and creating all the smoke.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    edited September 2013
    Oops!! Just saw where you rested it on foil balls. My bad! Might have been the high temp then. Usually do mine indirect around 375 to 400.
  • CP92
    Yeah, smoke seems to dissipate around 30 or so mins into the cook.  It's all good.  I'll try running a bit lower as you suggest next time and see what happens.  Will probably pick up a woo or AR in Nov so we'll see what results will be with that.  For now, I'm still having fun with just learning the ropes.  Prolly do some thick pork chops tomorrow on a reverse sear and then maybe a low and slow next weekend.  Butt seems like a good first outing but the grandbaby's 2nd B-day is next Sat so maybe I'll do some ribs before everyone else comes over for apps then do some burgers and Italian sausages.  
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • CP92
    Oh and I forgot to mention,even with a burp and not what I would consider exceedingly high temps singed hair is a possibility.  I didn't notice it as it happened, although I did think the rush of heat was a bit more than I'd experienced before.  It wasn't until I sat down to type my report that I ran my hand though my hair.   I've already placed a order for a custom handle that says "Burp Me!!!" on the top and front in hopes to prevent anything serious from happening.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD