Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket stew. So easy, so good!

Options
Hello all,

I had some left over brisket that I wanted to use up and decided to try something new. Cooked this on the stove top because I'm shockingly low on lump, but it could certainly be done in a DO right on the egg. 

Started with a box of beef stock. Cut left over brisket (about 1# or so) into 1.5''cubes. Cut two potatoes into cubes and half a white onion into a medium five. Sliced some baby Portobello mushrooms, about half a pound. Tossed everything together and brought to a boil. Seasoned with a bit of bad Byron's and garlic salt. Reduced heat and cooked uncovered for about 40 minutes until reduced by about half and veggies were tender.

It was crazy easy, but really good. The smoked brisket flavor put the whole thing over the top. Would be equally easy to add even more flavors (celery, carrots, garlic, peppers, bay leaf, etc) but it was great just like this. Give it a go some time if you have some left over brisket.

Cheers
B_B
Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI

Comments

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I didn't think there was such a thing as leftover brisket.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,513
    Options
    I've made a similar dish, although it wasn't leftover brisket (I agree with yzzi), it was a 7-bone roast, which I cooked to med-rare on the Egg (picked up all the smoke flavor at the beginning) and then diced and added to the stew.  Yum!  
    It took me a long, cautious time to dice up the meat, I could only find one bone in the whole damn roast; it wasn't until later I learned that the bone was in the shape of a "7"; there weren't seven bones... 
    :-S

"Commander, say hello to Cricket!"  - KN

• Black_Badger
    Options
    @Botch, yeah I could see where that would happen. If have been looking for 7 bones too, haha. 

I see @Doc_Eggerton posted a really great looking DO stew today as well. The brisket really put mine over the top considering how simple it was.
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI