Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Beef Ribs...

Options
Gfw
Gfw Posts: 1,598
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
BeefRibs06_12_0014_20_01.jpg
<p />The beef ribs are on the grill. I started them at about 12:20 and have flipped them twice - dinner will hopefully occur at about 6pm. I decided on low/slow like I do baby back ribs - from the picture it appears that they are progressing nicely.[p]The link is to the new "Beef Ribs" page on my site - to be updated as we progress. Have a great day!

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Gfw,
    I anxiously await results. Just got back from the store with two chunks of beef ribs (each one has 4 or 5 ribs). I was leaning toward the direct at 250 for many hours. Maybe we'll each do em differently, and see how it goes.[p]May the crust be with you!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gfw
    Options
    Nature Boy, mine are looking great... After flipping them just a minute ago, I question the total time - For the period between 2:30 and 3:10, the temp slid up to 300, it's now bak at 250 and I'm goingg to try to get it back to 225 - this is kind of fun - I have a fresh batch of Gfw's BBQ sauce ready ro the last 45 minutes.[p]

• Chief
    Chief Posts: 154
    Options
    Gfw,
    Send a rack of those COD for tasting.
    Looks good with a few nice cold Brewskies

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Gfw,
    Sounds great! Do me a favor if you get a chance, and stick a polder in there before you pull em off....would help to have a guideline to go by! Thanks.[p]Did you cut a lot of fat off??[p]Have fun!! I will be poised to see your results. I love beef.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Gfw
    Options
    Nature Boy, I did remove most of the excess fat before I started. What I could cut away without cutting into the meat, I did. [p]Just for you... I havn't used a thermometer since the last butt that I made, but I'll stick one in a little later - and before I pull them off - they are really looking kind of good - I jsu finished cutting the lawn and need a shower - I'll post an update about 4:00.[p]

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Gfw,
    Don't forget behind the ears.[p]Thanks a bunch for breakin' out the thermo. I betcha they gonna be good.
    Cheers!

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Gfw
    Options
    BeefRibs06_12_0015_58_01.jpg
    <p />3:58pm - I'm starting to think that I'll have an early dinner. There is a lot of shrinkage from the rib bones, but they don't shake just right yet. The internal temperature is 170 degrees - I took it at the request of Nature Boy and now I'm wondering what the temp should be. Think I'll go by the shake and feel test - no foil tonight - they are coming along nicely without it.
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Gfw,
    Yeah...go by feel. I don't think they will be dry!
    Man those look awesome.
    Thanks for the update.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]He should be eating them by now. Wonder how thay are?[p]Tim
  • Gfw
    Options
    BeefRibs06_12_0017_56_02.jpg
    <p />The beef ribs weren't bad - kind of tasty. As per the earlier posts, they were a little greasy - the rub made them a little spicy with a nice taste.[p]BUT, my choice is still baby back pork ribs. Remember the fun is in the search, not the conquest - Life is GOOD!

[ul][li]Beef Ribs[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Gfw,
    Thanks for the report.[p]I'll see if I can get more of that fat rendered tomorrow with the direct lo/slo method. I love new stuff. Thinkin of makin a paste with mustard, garlic, turbinado sugar, some seasonings and rubbin it down tonight. [p]I wonder if the foil made them more greasy?? How was the texture and flavor of the meat?? Chewy?? Melt in the mouth? Did it pull from the bone?? Man, them are some big bones! How much meat did you end up with??[p]Your portfolio is growing!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    My last beef ribs came off very tender with little grease. The took almost 7 hrs at 250*. Think brisket on a bone.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    JJ,
    Thanks. I am in for the long haul.
    Should be good. Did you use any wood for smoke??? Or were the long times with the lump enough smoke??[p]Brisket on a bone!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • JJ
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I need my wood. I used mesquite and sugar maple and no sauce or rubs.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    JJ,
    I'll break out some o dat taste o' Texas mesquite I have.[p]I think I will also go with your idea of 250 direct for an extended period. Sounds like the plan. But imonna season those bad boys up nice!! I love meat flavor, but spices are the spice of life. [p]A little moose turd garlic sugar spice slather and I got a good feelin' about these guys. I'll keep you posted. Maybe I will do one chunk tomorrow, and make any necesssary adjustments for the other slab wednesday.[p]Fred Flinstone, here I come!!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • JJ
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    That's what life is all about. Different tastes and techniques shared to raise our cooking levels to the nth degree. Keep me up to date. I am always looking to learn new ways. Fred you do not have to worry about, its Dino his pet. hehe

• Gfw
    Options
    Nature Boy, Lost my connection last night - a few storms moved through the area - didn't use any foil - they looked good without - theyt cooked for a total of 5.5 hours, maybe they needed a little more to get rid of the greasy taste. The meat was done and good and there was plenty of it - yes the bones were big.