Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal Burn Rate

Options
I'm trying to figure out how much charcoal I'll need to get me through the winter. My cooks avg. about 375 for 1.5 hours. Would 2.5 pounds per hour be a good estimate? Will I burn more in the cool air?

I have a 150# and I BBQ at least every Sunday (gas for the other days with a few green egg days mixed in ).

Aurora,OH

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Depends on the charcoal brand.  Let me know the brand, and if I have tested it, I could give you a rough guess.  It is much less than 2.5 pounds per hour.  The worst charcoal (as far as burntime goes) I ever tested was probably on the order of 0.75 pounds per hour at 400 degrees.  The best was on the order of 0.3 pounds per hour.  So as you can see, quite a swing.

The Naked Whiz
  • SmyrnaGA
    Options
    How come I can't find the burn rates in your reviews?  If it's there and I happened to missed it, I blame my company's firewall!

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• NervousDad
    Options
    Thanks! I'm using Wegman's brand and from what I've read that is Royal Oak.
    Aurora,OH
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited September 2013
    Options
    SmyrnaGA said:
    How come I can't find the burn rates in your reviews?  If it's there and I happened to missed it, I blame my company's firewall!
    They aren't in the reviews.  I just provide the 1 - 5 star rating for burn time.  However, I happen to know about how long the best and worst charcoals burned in the testing and I know that I burn a 3 pound sample.
    The Naked Whiz