Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is picnic usually tougher than Boston butt?

Options
I did a picnic shoulder yesterday. It was the first picnic I've done. Usually do Boston butt. I found that the meat didn't pull quite as easily. Not at all tough to chew, but didn't just fall apart with 2 forks. Cooked it between 250-280 indirect on my egg. I foiled it at 160 internal and took it to 195/probe tender. It was an 8lb picnic. I noticed it cooked quickly (approximately 6.5 hours). Is this slightly tough texture typical with picnic shoulders?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Personally I like a shoulder better, but my guess is it needed a bit more time. 195 is a tad shy - I prefer 200 to 203 myself unless it is being foiled and wrapped for pulling later.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BobsBGE
    BobsBGE Posts: 99
    Options
    I'm not an expert on meat but I think the shoulder may have less marbling than a butt and when the fat renders it should be a whole lot easier to pull apart (for the butt).  And as Ron (RRP) said, pulling at 160 may have been a little early.
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • Nick2cd
    Nick2cd Posts: 49
    Options
    I didn't pull it at 160. I wrapped it in foil at 160 and let it get to 195 internal.
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    When I have done picnics - they have always been tougher than butts.  I usually take them to around 200-205.  I just prefer the texture and tenderness of the butts.
    XL BGE
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited August 2013
    Options
    I've never done a picnic but there is no reason to foil either a butt or picnic before it hits the target temperature. An 8 lbs picnic cooked at those temps for that amount of time sounds under cooked which would make it seem tough, but I suspect it really is just under cooked.

Have you checked your thermometers for accuracy?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I've cooked plenty of both and the picnic is generally a leaner cut, so it seems to be slightly less tender.  It can be just as tender, I think it's a little less forgiving than the butt.
    Options
    Foil really just helps push through the stall a bit quicker. However, I agree, the 6.5 hour time shocked me and seems way too fast. Guess I shoulda taken this one to 200-205. I'll try another picnic to see how it turns out.

Thermo is spot on via boiling water.