Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinking about grinding meat

I am considering buying a meat grinder for small quantities (hamburgers, chili, etc) of meat once or twice a week at most. I am initially leaning toward a manual grinder, but am not ruling out an electric grinder. What input do ya'll have?

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Killen, AL (The Shoals)
XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs

Comments

• RaleighGuy
    RaleighGuy Posts: 207
    Go with an electric grinder. I use the kitchen aid attachment that gets the job done for my needs. Will eventually get a stand alone grinder. Once you taste the difference in home ground meat, you will be hooked.

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    edited August 2013

I do grind my own chuck roasts for chili, but just haven't mustered the energy to grind all my hamburger needs. I just use this handy attachment on my KitchenAid pro model 600. I've never stressed it yet!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I have the kitchenaid attachment.  Mine's about worn out (the plastic is cracking).  I would like a manual one too, as I'll only likely use it a few times a month.  I bought one from Amazon and had to return it.  It was a #10 grinder by Weston.  It was very hard to use even when we had the meat very cold (in the freezer for hours). Before we had ground a pound of meat the handle stripped from the shaft and the handle had fallen off.  
    I'm looking at one by Kitchener http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200449763_200449763   It has a wheel for a V-belt so I can add a motor if I feel I need to.
  • grEGGorys
    grEGGorys Posts: 168
    We use our Vitamix to 'grind' our chuck/sirloin steak.  Our son grinds his own meat in his food processor.  It is super easy, just trim the fat and cut in 2" chunks and drop it in.  We empty the bowl after about a cup of meat has been ground.  It takes less than a minute to grind about 1 to 2 pounds of meat. 
    Gulf Coast FL
  • +1 on the kitchenaid.  For $50 works very well.  I put it and meat in freezer before grinding.  It also was rated fairly high by CooksIllustrated for grinding.  Also very easy to clean--comes apart and goes in dishwasher.
  • Porkert hand grinder. Nothing beats it.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Kitchener #12 from northern tools. Works like a champ, but I suggest if you get into sausage get a dedicated stuffer.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings