Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Must see places in Kansas City?

Options
What are some must sees and must dos in Kansas, I've never been and will be there for about a week. Looking for micro brews, BBQ and other fun things do to.
HFX NS

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

I went out there for the first time last year.......a couple must do's if you're into aviation:

TWA Museum @ KC Downtown Airport

Airline History Museum @ KC Downtown Airport

I wanted to go to the WWI Museum, but it was closed for a power failure.  The outside memorial was pretty impressive.  Also, I wanted to go in the Federal Depository, but the lobby museum is not open on weekends.  Union Station is pretty cool, they have some revolving exhibits there.

BBQ--I went to Jack Stack's and Arthur Bryant's.  Both were good, but nothing I would make a second trip for.  I'm not really into KC-style BBQ, so that's why.  I hear Oklahoma Joe's is the place to go.......and I will next time.

• Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    Options
    Not really into airplanes or war museums but thanks for the tips!
    HFX NS
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options

For BBQ, Oklahoma Joe's is where it's at.  We make the trip to KC about once or twice a year, and that has always been a winner.  Jack Stack is decent, but pricey.  It feels more like a nice restaurant than anything else.  I guess I prefer my BBQ joints to be kind of a whole in the wall.

Arthur Bryants has several restaurants throughout the city. I can't speak for all of them, but we visited the original restaurant just east of downtown KC, and we were beyond disappointed.  Dry ribs, terrible sauces.  I guess they've gone downhill since Mr. Bryant died years back.  I'd avoid it if I were you. Avoid Rosedale BBQ as well.

If you can swing a tour, go to the Boulevard Brewery.  They're usually full up on Friday/Saturday/Sunday.  Your best bet is a weekday tour.  Boulevard Wheat is one of my all-time favorite beers.  I don't know how it measures up to top notch Hefeweisens, or Belgian ales, but it's midwestern, and will always occupy a soft spot in my heart.

The Power Plant district is fun, and jumping.  The Plaza has excellent shopping, and good restaurants.  (that's where Jack Stack is, as well as a Cheesecake Factory, Fogo de Chao and a cool Italian joint called Buca Di Beppo).  OK Joe's is near the Plaza, as well.  Just south, if I remember correctly.

If you're a baseball fan, Kauffman Stadium is beautiful.  Tickets are rather inexpensive, they serve Boulevard at the field, and seats are easy to come by.  It's also right by Arrowhead Stadium where the Chiefs play.

Have a great time, man.  KC is a great town.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    Options
    Thanks! I'm looking forward to it I've never been to that part of the USA. Usually it's one of the corners and the north east so this will be all new.
    HFX NS