Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Too ambitious? 13.5lb brisket.

Options
2»

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,411
    Options
    Now that is a learning eggsperience-and one with a good ending.  Have nothing to add other than build on this ride as it hits on many of the key challenges of the brisket rodeo.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Trini_in_Ottawa
    Options
    lousubcap said:

Now that is a learning eggsperience-and one with a good ending.  Have nothing to add other than build on this ride as it hits on many of the key challenges of the brisket rodeo.

So true - never read or heard of a stall with temp falling, but more importantly learned that placement of meat probe is key for low and slow. Also need to a thermapen - it is next on my list.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,411
    Options
    FWIW-the thermopen is great for a quick "look" or to cook hot and fast (and it is "all that" for the quick cooks).  But the time/temperature duration of a low&slow does not need an instant read thermo.  Any analog thermo (calibrated) can give you the temperature you need to decide "what next".  Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Trini_in_Ottawa
    Options
    I have a regular analog thermo - but it takes long to get to the readings, so when I am checking several spots the dome is open longer than I would like during the low and slows.
    Thanks for your opinion, always appreciated.