Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dinner tonight

Going to cook some spare ribs I picked up at walmart the other day for $1.39 a pound for dinner.  Looking for some ideas as I have only cooked ribs one other time.  Was thinking of using the 3-1-1 method.  If I use this method what temp should I stabilize the egg at?  Thanks

Comments

• Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907

Also which wood would be best?  I have hickory, cherry, peach, and I just got some pecan chunks yesterday.

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Spares can be low and slow for that time, I'd do 250.  If you weren't foiling, they might take an hour or so longer.  I like 3-1-1 also.  (Meathead last meal ribs).  Can't help on wood.. I'd bet on fruit wood? I use apple for all things pork.

1000 different methods, and they all work. 

Good luck!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Firemanyz
    Ok ribs are on around 280. We will see how the turn out.
  • Firemanyz
    Also could not find a bottle of apple juice to put in the drip pan so I had to resort to other measures. Thanks kids
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Personally I like to cut mine into st Louis styl.
    1.5 1 . 5 350
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Firemanyz
    I have never tried that, but I do have two more racks in the freezer that I can practice on soon. I will also need to go on you tube to find instructions. What is the big difference in the two?
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

A short while ago there was a thread on foiling vs non-foiling.  Lots of eggers on either side.  Last week I tried foiling for the first time.   It will be the last time; don't care for it.

St Louis spares, 250-260 dome temp with just dry rub for about 5 hours.  The last two hours, spritz with 50-50 apple juice/apple cider vinegar every 1/2 hour.

The last 1/2 hour apply sauce of your choice if you wish.

Good eats!      

:-c
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Firemanyz
    I have been on the fence about foil, I think you just talked me off of the fence. I'm going to skip the foil.
  • jaydub58

Cool, please post the results, and whether or not you agree.

Difference of opinions is why we have horse races.   I'd like to hear what you think. 

• Firemanyz
    Here they are 6 o'clock have been on for a little over 4 hours. Scalloped potatoes are also almost done.
  • Firemanyz
    Here is a pic of them done. They were great. I went 275 or so for 2.5 hours then 350 or so for 2 more hours. I may be buying the wife a new corningware dish though. The smoke stains just don't seem to be coming off. Oh well it was good.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Get a magic eraser and some bar keepers friend for the smoke stains. I think some use oxyclean too. You can either wrap with foil next time or slather some dish soap on the outside. Makes for quick cleanup.
    Dunedin, FL
  • jaydub58
    Great looking ribs, @Firemanyz.  I'm guessing that really takes you into the no-foil camp.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Firemanyz said:
    Here is a pic of them done. They were great. I went 275 or so for 2.5 hours then 350 or so for 2 more hours. I may be buying the wife a new corningware dish though. The smoke stains just don't seem to be coming off. Oh well it was good.
    You could pick up your own corningware (or metal) drip pan, and leave the wife's pristine. Maybe check the Goodwill store for a deal.  Personally I have a $100 Stainless Steel Cuisinart roaster I stained the first time I grilled a Turkey in it.  Ouch.  Since then I keep kitchen and grill cookware separate.

By the way, ribs look great.  I did St Louis ribs once, 300 for 4 hours, no foil, no spritz.  They were a bit overdone, but still really good.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY