Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Silver lining

My family is in Kansas City for a last blast weekend getaway before school starts back up. My two boys each brought a friend and we all looked forward to some KC barbecue. Rather than hit Oklahoma Joes again we tried something new. We went to a "Kansas City landmark" that shall remain nameless...so as not to offend anyone. We were all disappointed. The ribs were dry, the pulled pork was served sauced (heavily), and the BBQ sauce was bitter and tasted dirty. Strange description, but even my wife said it tasted like dirt. We dropped $100 bucks on dinner, and left hungry.

But, I overheard my kid tell his friend on the way out, "My stepdad's cooking is WAY better than this place. You'll have to come over some night."

I went from feeling pissed about a wasted meal, to feeling proud of my own cooking. I'll chalk that up as a win.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

Comments

• We went to a "Kansas City landmark" that shall remain nameless...

Please tell.  I'm sure no one is reading this thread anymore;).  Was it Gates?  Arthur Bryant's?  We used to live there and was just curious if we shared the same opinion.
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Arthur Bryant's. should have stuck with OK Joe's. the rest of your former city was great! I even experienced a Waffle House for the first time. Add in a trip to Steak n Shake and a day at Schlitterbahn and it was a great trip!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    My last time in KC I went to Smoking Guns BBQ to try the Burnt ends, very good. I love waffle house too we have one on every corner.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Someday, oh, someday, please God, let Waffle House build in Oregon!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Arthur Bryant's lives by it's past reputation. Bryant died in 1982 and his niece tried to run it for a while. She sold it after almost running it into the ground to a couple of local business men. They seemed to be more interested in opening more restaurants and merchandising the name. The word that I would use for Bryant's today is "inconsistent" . It would definitely not be a place that I would consider the best that KC has to offer
    Overland Park, Kansas
    XL
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Ooooooops!  And the day after Waffle House opens, please let a Cracker Barrel open it's doors in Oregon!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Funny you say that. From my prime grill side seat at Waffle House, I had a beautiful view of the Cracker Barrel. Sounds like you need to visit the Midwest!

@JOJayhawk, thanks for the advice. I'll definitely be leery next time down there. Normally urbanspoon is pretty accurate.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    jaydub58 said:

That is hilarious!!! =))
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    That's too bad Sam.  It's funny though, I knew it was Bryant's before you named it.  We had a similar experience back in January.  I'll never go back to one.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE

• jaydub58 said:

That is hilarious!!! =))

When we're travelling, Wilma says she knows we're getting close to our home state of Michigan because the Chick Filets and Waffle Houses disappear.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Y'all live without Chick-Fil-A?!? How?
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!