Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flat Iron Steak (ala Griffin), Sliders and Greek Night!

TexanOfTheNorth
TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
edited July 2013 in EggHead Forum
Did a flat iron steak on Friday night; served with Tater Tots. Looked for the cheesy kind but all they had was the plain. Saturday night was hamburger sliders (no pics) with a combination of toppings and cheeses. Last night was "Greek Night"... pork souvlaki, homemade tzatziki, greek style roasted potatoes and a greek salad.

This was my first go at the flat iron steak and I just used a little S&P before throwing it on the CI grill. Steak was good but could have been better. I bought 2 extras and will try marinading the next time.

imageimageimageimageimageimage
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Comments

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Nice first go. Food looks good.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• That all looks tasty! Was the steak dry or just needed a flavor boost?
    Flint, Michigan
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    It wasn't dry but it did need a flavor boost either with a marinade or spice rub. Since it was the first time I'd done this cut I wanted to do it pretty plain so that I'd have a "baseline" of sorts to compare with. 

The other challenge was that one end of the steak was a good 50% thicker than the other end. I had done the steak indirect (about 400*) until the IT was about 110* then pulled it and covered with foil while I got the egg up to about 700* for a sear. As you can see, the thicker end came out perfectly (if you like the rare to medium rare). The thinner end was really a little over cooked. I am not sure if this cut is well-suited to the reverse sear method.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited July 2013
    Flat Irons are plentiful at the Kroger groceries in the Ohio Valley.  Sometimes I get lucky and find one that has fairly uniform thickness but as @TOTN notes-most have a pronounced taper.  Looks like good eats!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • That's funny. Wilma likes a medium steak and I like it med-rare. We could prolly make out pretty good with that cut.
    Flint, Michigan
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    @Fred19Flintstone... you should give it a try. To be honest, I'd never heard of it until I read about it here in the last month or two. I don't recall ever seeing it advertised or at the store(s) up here. Just happened to notice them at our local Longo's last week and picked some up.
    We marinade with Allegro... Try the spicy for a kick. For fajitas I tried the stubbs beef marinade... Nice carne asada flavor courtesy of Centex. Might try foil under the thin part?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN