Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Speaking of Chicken....

I had so much success with my butts/ribs cook last weekend - I'm feeling rather bold.  Thought I would try a couple whole yard birds this weekend between the copious amounts of rain we have been enjoying of late.  Anyone care to recommend a good method for a 3-4 hour cook.  Remember, I'm still learning here.

Thanks!
BJ
Men of integrity expect to be believed, but when they aren't, they allow time to prove them right.

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Chicken - spatchcock - 1 hour 400 Raised direct - best chicken you will ever have.

Garnerville, NY
  • OVERULD
    OVERULD Posts: 47
    Thanks!  That sounds pretty tasty.  I've found a few good recipes on the forum here.  Think I'll try one.

BJ
    Men of integrity expect to be believed, but when they aren't, they allow time to prove them right.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Dry rub or bbq'ed spatchcock. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Spatchcock is the bomb!  Split it, season it and let it sit uncovered in the fridge for a minimum of four hours to dry the skin out (more is better IMO and it will help for a crispy end product).  I haven't done whole birds any other way for four years.  In fact, it was my first egg cook in July of 2009.

Look at the virgin white inside of that egg!  It doesn't look like that anymore.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • New2Q
    New2Q Posts: 171
    I just spatchcocked a chicken as my first cook on my Egg too.  400 degrees at the outset, somewhere along the line it raised to about 430.  Total of 50 minutes on the Egg and it was the best chicken my wife or I have ever had.  Sadly I didn't get any pictures of it but I'll rectify that tonight and tomorrow when I do my first brisket.
  • OVERULD
    Spatchcock Chicken was indeed the Bomb Mike!  I did two birds Saturday evening, and split them in two.  I seasoned one with a Jamaican Jerk dry rub and the other with Dizzy Pig Dust.  I cooked them skin side down for about 15-20 minutes, then flipped them and went another 30 minutes.  I used a raised grid, direct heat. I had some Tom Petty on the outdoor speakers and a good cold beer, and my family with me to celebrate my birthday which was today.  Beth cooked a broccoli casserole, a pineapple/cheese casserole, an iron skillet of cream corn, some homemade brownies and a freezer of homemade vanilla ice cream!    We enjoyed the new deck furniture and a wonderful evening of family time.  I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the tale!

• OVERULD
    Yummy!

• OVERULD
    Dig In!!

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Man, nothing wrong with that. Nice cook and thanks for the pics. 
    Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Great looking birds and nice furniture. Mind sharing where you purchased the patio furniture?
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Happy Birthday @Overuld. Doesn't sound like there was any room for improvement on your day!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Great looking birds and nice furniture. Mind sharing where you purchased the patio furniture?
    Thanks.  My wife ordered it online from a place in Minneapolis.  I'll have to get the name and post it. I know that the fabric is "Sunbrella".  

BJ
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Happy Birthday BJ!  I think Myron Mixon is right,  you Georgia boys really are born with a bbq gene.  You have done really well with these first cooks and I'm looking forward to more of the same.

Mike 

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • OVERULD
    Thanks Mike - having a blast learning.  Got some "Eggcessories" money in a birthday card from my mother-in-law!  So, the family is enabling the addiction!

BJ
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

Great looking cook, @OVERULD, and a way cool deck!

You gotta enjoy hanging out there.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • OVERULD
    Thanks for the comments. I have to give credit to my wife for decorating the deck (well, and for giving me the Egg too - she and boys got it for me for Father's Day!).  The furniture is by Open Air Lifestyles, LLC based in Michigan, not Minnesota as previously posted.   That particular series is called "Giovanna".  It is very comfortable and the wicker and overall construction is of very high quality.   Here is a link to it.  

Another shot of the deck from standing by the Egg.

• OVERULD
    Another View

• OVERULD
    And looking toward the door.

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited July 2013
    Nice looking deck setup. Wish I had that kind of room.  Also chicken looked spectacular. Honestly I wouldn't let any cook intimidate you.  With the advice you obviously are keen at following, I think you can pick up anything. Oh yeah, Happy Birthday man, looks like you had a good one.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season.