Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wings help

Going to make wings tonight for truck race party. I have done wings in the past but would like them a little crisper skin any help greatly appreciated

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Mix corn starch in with your rub. Cook raised direct. Make sure skin is dry before on egg. The longer you can dry uncovered in fridge the better.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    You have to start with dry skin. Dust the wings with corn starch and put them in the fridge for as long as you have time. It would help if you could lay them out on a cookie sheet without having to stack them one atop another but even that would help.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Thanks guys will do
  • meat73
    meat73 Posts: 140
    What temp you guys cook at
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    I don't do cornstarch. I toss them in just a touch of canola oil before I put the rub on them, which both helps the rub stick and ensures they are crisp.

I cook at 400 raised direct for 45 min to an hour. I probably turn them every 10 min. When they're cooked through, I pull them, toss them in wing sauce, and then throw them back on for 5 min per side to set the sauce. My family loves them done this way so much I make a batch probably every other week.
  • Big Ragu
    Big Ragu Posts: 148
    I agree with the dry skin start but I like to give my wings 1 hr of indirect (sometimes w/ smoke depending on final desired product).  Then pull the plate setter out and get the heat up to 450 and finish direct until you get a nice dark brown color from the skin.  If you do this right you will think the wings are fried by the cripsness of the skin. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    i pull them from the bag of marinade and put them on raised grid direct at 325, skin side down til the skin is crispy, the flip. cook the skin side down first til crispy, move them around the grill but dont flip til crispy. i like to split the wings and put the drummettes over the hotter spot on the egg to start with.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    For a really solid wing, smoke them on egg then deep fry them!! So good.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    I like cooking them in a rack around 400 direct then crisping them up on the grate before serving. You could get them crispier than the photo if you like.
    Milton, GA.
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    Chubbs said:
    For a really solid wing, smoke them on egg then deep fry them!! So good.

Some friends of mine do this in their BBQ restaurant.  It works very well.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL