Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Going to do first stuffed chicken breast and baked potatoes tonight, question...

Options
jls9595
jls9595 Posts: 1,533
I want to have it done around the time SWMBO gets home and planning indirect for the potatoes, so about how long does the chicken take at about 300F or so? BTW I'm pounding flat, wrapping with bacon and stuffing with pesto and mozzarella.  Thanks 
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Maybe 40 minutes, plus or minus.  They're done when the stuffing is around 155.
    Options
    thanks, that's what I'll shoot for
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    If you have an instant read, just check it now and then.  If you want it to cook faster, crank the heat up. 
    edited July 2013
    Options

For the chicken, I would do them 350-375  indirect 35-45 minutes, depending on size,  pull around 155-160 if you have an instant read. It will creep up 3-5 degrees after being removed from the heat source.  The potatoes I would put on sooner and figure 50-60 min to cook @ 375.

• jls9595
    Options
    I have a thermapen, will use it. Just wanted to know approx. time to put on the grill.  Here's a pic of what I got so far.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Options
    Although I question your loyalty to and selection of a college football team, I have to ask, how did it turn out? Looked awesome. Roll Tide Roll
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • jls9595
    Options
    You again huh?  lol, still cooking, will post pics.  Go Vols!
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    After seeing how they're constructed, with the chicken flattened out, I think they'll cook faster than I originally estimated.  Might want to pull when the stuffing is 150, because the chicken will be at least 160.

You can throw the spuds in the beamer (microwave) to catch them up....they'll cook much slower if you put them on at the same time.   Stab them a few times so they don't blow up.
    Options
    well, turned out great.  Had thrown on the potatoes 30min before the chicken and got them to 210 internal(perfect).  Accidentally let the chicken get up to 175 before pulling but still very moist and tender.  The pesto added amazing flavor, definitely doing this again.  SWMBO loved it.  
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    That looks outstanding!!! But I am curious on the taters- did you cook them raised the whole time or move when the chicken hit the grid? I always have a hard time makin my taters just right as far as timing goes. I usually nuke for 5 mins and then to the egg for bout 30-40

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • jls9595
    Options
    They were on the top the whole time. Smallish taters so 90 mins at around 350 was perfect. Poked a few holes in them, coated with evoo and salt before hand.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Thank you, I am goin to do it like that next time

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Damn good looking chicken!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    That looks awesome! Nice cook. I also struggle with potatoes. Thanks!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN