Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

santa maria tri-tip

BGEBrian
BGEBrian Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am planning on doing a "santa maria" tri-tip this weekend. how should I cook this on the BGE?? time, wood chips, temp, etc..
can someone help me?

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    BGEBrian,[p]One version of the Santa Maria Tri-Tip rub is:
    3 tablespoons sea salt
    1 tablespoon granulated garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper, medium grind[p]Purists use grilling temps of 350° - 400° with oak chunks until the internal is around 125°, rest and slice against the grain. Note that there are two grain directions as you move from end to end.[p]I also do at them at 250° to the same internal temp, but baste every now and then.[p]Good luck, I'm sure you will like this cut.
    ~thirdeye~[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BGEBrian
    BGEBrian Posts: 24
    thirdeye,[p]How rare is the center at 125 deg. F? Is that the recommended internal temp for tri-tip? how long does it take to get to 125?[p]thanks for the advice?
  • Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    BGEBrian,[p]In Santa Maria, they do it over an open oakwood fire, not a closed charcoal fire. I have had it there, and I have made my own on the BGE, and I like mine better![p]Here is what I do: trim off much of the fat. Marinate the meat in whatever, for about a day, in the fridge. [I use cheap yellow mustard, Snider's season salt, and plenty of raw garlic.][p]Bring the BGE to 500 degrees, including some wood chunks. Sear the lean side for 5 minutes. Flip it and sear the fat side for 5 min.[p]Now shut the vents a little and cook it for another 20 min., with the temp around 350. Test internal temp -- take it off at 135 internal and let it rest 5 min. in foil. [That makes it absorb the juices -- don't know why, but it works.] Slice thin on the diagonal against the grain.[p]If you want to be authentic, serve it with pico de gallo salsa, pinquito beans [like small pintos], iceberg lettuce salad, hot sourdough rolls, and Zinfandel. Beer works, too.[p]The best place to eat the real thing is in a parking lot -- on weekends, Kiwanis and Rotary and so forth set up tri tip fundraisers in shopping center parking lots in Santa Maria.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    BGEBrian,[p]During the resting time, the temp will rise slightly and the juices settle out through the roast. If you pull it at 125° the center will be be warm and pink when serving. If you want it medium, (hot & pink) try pulling it at 130° to 135°.[p]At grilling temps, plan on about 30 minutes cooking time, turning several times. At the lower barbecue temps, mine go 1-1/2 to 2 hours.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    BGEBrian,
    Mine are done low and slow first to 125, then a rest, then a sear. I like this way becasue if I need extended time to get other items ready I can hold off the sear a little longer and it doesnt ruin the med rare I'm looking for.

• Wingnut
    Wingnut Posts: 26
    Prof Dan,[p]I have worked at some of the events that you speak of, and some in SLO. I did that part time while at Handcock.[p]Very good bunch of people.[p]Wingnut