Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stainless Steel Vented Chimney Cap?

So is the upgraded stainless steel vented chimney cap worth the price?
http://eggware.net/Vented_Chimney_Caps/Stainless_Steel_Vented_Chimney_Cap.html
Has anyone had any experience with this? Also anyone have any "must purchase" adding or accessories. I currently have the platesetter, ash pan, and grid remover. Thanks for the feedback in advance.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I love mine. Easy temp control, keeps rain out, stays in place.

Must purchase? Instant read like Thermapen. Hique grate then Adjustable rig.
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Yeah, I've seen a few posts about the thermapen. I'll have to search the hique grate, not sure what that is. Thanks!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Hi que is only must have on the small egg in my opinion.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Send me an email through my website and I'll hook you up with one. I'm also a dealer for PitmasterIQ. I produce the SS304 high temp fire grates as well as a few other products for the egg. Free shipping for anyone on the board here. Wish I could do that with the charcoal, but those rates are ridiculous.
  • sox203
    sox203 Posts: 22
    I like mine, seems like a good thing in the NW where I can leave it open even in the rain.  Add the thermapen and hique as high on the list of gets.  I also really like the maverick wireless therm depending on the type of cooking you're doing.  I don't have the AR but do have a riser, in hind sight I'd forgo the platesetter and raiser for an AR and stone as a defuser.
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    blukat said:
    Yeah, I've seen a few posts about the thermapen. I'll have to search the hique grate, not sure what that is. Thanks!
    Thermapens are on sell right now if you want one.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• ReldtiCDN
    ReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    edited July 2013
    Is the Hique endorsed by BGE  or would it void the warranty.I was going to get one until I read the warranty fully. See section 13 VOIDING warranty before installing a grate.

I have the SS cap and won't go back, DFMT is in a box with the ceramic cap.
    Brampton, Ontario

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    ReldtiCDN said:
    Is the Hique endorsed by BGE  or would it void the warranty.I was going to get one until I read the warranty fully. See section 13 VOIDING warranty before installing a grate.

I have the SS cap and won't go back, DFMT is in a box with the ceramic cap.
    I can't see how it could possibly cause an issue, or how they could possibly know that you had it installed :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JaredMD
    JaredMD Posts: 59
    I like the eggware cap but be careful with high temp cooks or cleans as the gasket that comes with the cap is rather cheap and will burn up quickly.. I made the mistake of following the directions and installing the gasket right to my dome before reading Naked Whiz's review of the cap.. a bit of upgraded gasket (nomex) to replace what comes with the cap seems to do the trick.
    XL BGE - Baltimore, MD