Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Japanese Green Curry Soup

Options

Okay, hear me out on this one. 

I'll start by apologizing for not having actual pictures of the cook itself.  Second, I apologize that this is a copycat recipe that BARELY uses the Egg.  Third and finally, the ingredients are far from gourmet...but this is still insanely good.

This is a copy of the green curry soup served as an appetizer at a restaurant in Okinawa called Sam's by the Sea.  (no relation to me, unfortunately).  It's an American restaurant, with a kitschy 1950's and 1960's Hawaiian theme.  They specialize in steaks and seafood, but every meal comes with an incredible curry soup.  They ladle each bowl from a huge cast iron pot in the middle of the restaurant.  The first time I had it, I'd never eaten anything with curry in it.  The smell was always off-putting, but since it came with my meal I tried it. My reaction was similar to the restaurant critic's when he took his first bite in the movie Ratatoullie.  It was crazy good.

Since I don't get the chance to make it back to Okinawa anymore, I searched high and low for something similar.  What I found was quite simple.  The recipe is this:

1 can of Campbell's cream of chicken soup

1 can of water

two "squares" of Golden Curry

1/2C of chopped/pulled chicken (I took mine from leftover spatchcocked chicken)

Directions:  Mix soup and water until heated throughout.  Cut curry squares into smaller pieces to avoid clumping on the bottom of the pain.  Mix into soup and stir continuously until you achieve a uniform color.  It should be a light green color, much like pea soup.  Stir in chicken and simmer for approximately 10-15 minutes on low heat.  

I realize that the ingredients and the entire process are a bit underwhelming, but trust me, this is awesome.  It's simple, and can easily be tweaked to contain scratch ingredients versus processed stuff. I'm sure someone on the forum can take this to a completely new level. Regardless, it's fantastic.  For anyone that does any wok cooking, or prepares Asian meals from the Egg, this is an easy, delicious appetizer. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE