Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Chicken - First Attempt

Options
Last night I tried my hand at a spatchcock chicken.  Threw on some olive oil, then rubbed the skin and the meat beneath with Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust.  I stabilized the temperature at 400, tossed in a handful of cherrywood chips and cooked it direct for about an hour.  It came out pretty fantastic.  The only thing I might do differently next time is try a raised grate because I've seen that technique suggested here and elsewhere for spatchcock chickens.  Anyone happen to know what the benefit of raising the grate for a spatchcock would be?  Does it alter cooking time or the moisture of the meat?  Also--and this question isn't specific to spatchcock chickens--after I had the egg stabilized at 400 for a while and dropped the chicken in, the temperature went down to about 325.  That didn't surprise me; I was expecting a temperature drop.  But while the temp did climb back up to a bit over 350, it never returned to the 400 I stabilized it at prior to putting the meat on.  Is that common with the egg?  Are you supposed to achieve a return to the exact temperature you stabilized at?  It was in there for an hour, so I figured it would have gotten back to 400 by the time I took it out, but it didn't.  Not complaining really--the chicken was excellent--I'm just curious.  Anyway, here's a photo of the end result. 

Southern California

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Nice and yes the raised will help by cooking off the dome. No flipping and better skin. I do direct, could not see how you did.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Good looking yardbrd. :-bd

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Nice and yes the raised will help by cooking off the dome. No flipping and better skin. I do direct, could not see how you did.
    Got it.  That makes sense.  I also cooked mine direct. 
    Southern California
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Skin on that bird looks perfect!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Winner Winner Chicken.... well you know the rest. One of my favorite cooks right there. That's a pretty bird.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    That looks great I cook mine raised direct at 400. It might have been good that the temperature did not get back to 400 as you were closer to the fire and 400 might have been too hot for a lower grid cook. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I flip them to cook the skin more
    edited July 2013
    Options
    @nola do you start bone down or up and how long with the skin down? SWMBO would like the skin cooked more. I did flip one once but apparently not long enough. 

Johns Creek, Georgia