Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just finished my table...

jls9595
jls9595 Posts: 1,533
The only woodworking I have ever done prior to this is cornhole boards, so its not perfect but I'm happy with it.  
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Does your family like UT? I can't tell from the photo.

Nice table. A lot better than my nest.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    looks good from here
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Texas fans in Tennessee?  :D

Seriously though....table looks great.  Nice job. 
    That looks good and functional nice job.
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Very nice table. I need to get in the club and build one for my large. 
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Nice. If the back is covered watch the heat. Talked to @jebpot Saturday and he removed his... Go Vols.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Great looking table! What material is the cutting board, or is that just a prep area?
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'
  • jls9595
    henapple said:
    Nice. If the back is covered watch the heat. Talked to @jebpot Saturday and he removed his... Go Vols.
    Thanks guys.  I thought about that, we'll see how it does.  I may end up doing the same, hope I don't have to though.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • jls9595
    edited July 2013
    Great looking table! What material is the cutting board, or is that just a prep area?
    It's granite, I wanted a place to set hot things and a large prep area too.  Found it on craig's list.  The local granite places wanted $80 per square ft of scrap pieces! That is a 1'x1' on top and a 2'x2.5' and it was all $50.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Looks good. Want to make me one and deliver it?

Garnerville, NY
  • WalrusBBQ
    WalrusBBQ Posts: 153
    That looks awesome!

Did you follow a plan or sketch it out yourself?
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

• BBQJDUB
    BBQJDUB Posts: 47
    Okay...go ahead and ship that one to me....You can make another one!  Looks awesome!
    BBQJDUB

Charlotte, NC
  • jls9595
    robnybbq said:
    Looks good. Want to make me one and deliver it?
    haha, I have no idea what I'd charge.  There probably isn't an amount that would make me build another one, I'm a terrible planner and this was one of the most frustrating projects ever.  I had to redo and rethink as I was building.  I was just going by a picture of someone else's.  Plans would have been nice, less frustration.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • jls9595
    edited July 2013

henapple said: Nice. If the back is covered watch the heat. Talked to @jebpot Saturday and he removed his... Go Vols.

this is bothering me a little.  doing my first cook now and it is
    slightly warm under there.  I have the egg at 325 or so.  If I get it up to 500-600 I'm afraid it might get too hot.  Any opinions on this?  Do I need to remove part of the back wall?
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I would.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Nice!

1large BGE and 1 well used mini BGE living in coastal South and North Carolina!
  • ReldtiCDN
    ReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    Is the bottle opener on the other side hidden.
    Brampton, Ontario

• henapple
    I think I would...
  • SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    When you have a rig like that for use outdoors, it requires 5" diameter casters.  Smoother ride and better control over almost any surface.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    When you have a rig like that for use outdoors, it requires 5" diameter casters.  Smoother ride and better control over almost any surface.
    I have 5" cast iron casters with rubber tires - I can roll my rig over just about anything.
  • My back and sides are closed  The shelf seemed to get quite hot under my stone which was under my table nest.  I would keep an eye on it.  I bought some heat barrier for the shelf and placed it under the stone.  That worked for me but it was very expensive.  I just like the finished look better with it closed in that I was willing to pay the extra dough.  The temp inside the table other than the shelf directly below the egg shows less than a 10 degree temp difference from the outside air.  One thing is that my front is completely open. I have no doors.

Here is a pic before I put the back on.  I also replaced the smaller casters with 5" ones.  It moves much easier. 

• If you do have concerns about the temp you could put heating register grates in the back to help with airflow.

• jls9595

My back and sides are closed  The shelf seemed to get quite hot under my stone which was under my table nest.  I would keep an eye on it.  I bought some heat barrier for the shelf and placed it under the stone.  That worked for me but it was very expensive.  I just like the finished look better with it closed in that I was willing to pay the extra dough.  The temp inside the table other than the shelf directly below the egg shows less than a 10 degree temp difference from the outside air.  One thing is that my front is completely open. I have no doors.

Here is a pic before I put the back on.  I also replaced the smaller casters with 5" ones.  It moves much easier. 

I have had it up to 400 since being in the table so far, it hasn't caused a problem yet.  Since I still have it in the nest and it has quite a bit of room all around I think it'll be ok. Once I get mine out back on the patio I don't plan on moving it much so the casters should be fine.

If you do have concerns about the temp you could put heating register grates in the back to help with airflow.

great suggestion.  I had thought about using a jigsaw to cut out a Power-T for ventilation, being that I'm just a little bit of a Vol fan. ;)
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • henapple
    Hopefully a bigger hole than our offensive linehas been opopening up..
  • jls9595
    henapple said:
    Hopefully a bigger hole than our offensive linehas been opopening up..

about the size of the ones that were routinely opened on our D last year should do.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!