Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pork butt help line ?

Help please, I have 25 plus lbs of butt on, was running for 7 hours at avg of 250, IT was up to 172. Had to leave home, was gone longer then planned. Egg went down below 200, IT went down below 160. Got dome back to 300, IT is just starting to come back. Will have to foil to finish, but is the meat still safe? At 10 hours since cook started.

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Meat should be fine.  If you need to push through, you may need to foil, and you can bunp Egg temp up to 350
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    I cooked a butt at 200 from start to finish without any problems. Your pit temp never dropped below your IT so I wouldn't worry. It's just going to change the finish time.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    USDA says pork is fine at 145 internal now. You have no worries.
  • LTAFlynEgg
    LTAFlynEgg Posts: 84
    Temp is up to 325, IT jumped up to 185, so went up around 20 degrees IT in one hour. What temp does the stall normally stop at? Am hoping to let it ride to 205 without foil, trying to figure out if I am out of the stall?
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Different temps... Sounds like you pushed through it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bigguy136

Most of my stalls are 165° to 175°. I attached a graph of a 10 LB pork shoulder. I used 2 heat probes giving me the two different lines. The pit temp is the red upper line and I was at 250° for the entire cook.

-1.jpg 237.1K

Big Lake, Minnesota

• TAPROOT
    TAPROOT Posts: 22
    You have no worries, get ready to enjoy soon.  The internal temp would have to dip under 140 for several hours before there was a risk of anything serious.
    Fireside Outdoor Kitchens
    www.firesideoutdoorkitchens.com
    Big Green Egg dealer extraordinaire
  • LTAFlynEgg
    LTAFlynEgg Posts: 84
    You all are awesome! Thanks for the input. IT is nearing 200, pit is at 325. Will be FTC'd for about 5 hours. Need to get 3 racks baby back going by noon to take it all to a party for dinner at 5. Have foil pans, rack and sterno heat to keep it all warm for serving. Friendly BBQ show down tonight. Will post results later.
  • bigguy136

Sounds perfect. If you want to add some extra awesomeness, wrap a mushroom with a half strip of bacon, hold with a tooth pick, throw in a bowl with your favorite hot wing sauce and cook for about 30 minutes (till the bacon look good). Not only will you win the BBQ show down, you will have people asking you for your autograph.

And always, no pics, it didn't happen.....

Big Lake, Minnesota

• DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    How many others cook on EGGs? If none claim your victory now, otherwise you are going to have an impromptu EggFest where everyone wins. Especially those that get to eat some great food.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.