Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ for braging rights

The challenge has been set, its me and my BGE vs two native Texan BBQ cooks. We each are cooking a seperate meat and a side. cook#1 is doing a brisket and sweet corn cook #2 is doing chicken and a veggie mix I am doing pulled pork and coleslaw plus smoked sweet potatoes. We also are each cooking 3 racks of baby back. Judging will be peoples choice and cooks vote or admitance of defeat. Will have overall, best meat, best rib and best side. The party attenders will mostly be BBQ novices with a few discerning BBQ eaters. I plan to cook the pork on Thursday and the Ribs and potatoes Friday. I have a plan for the pull and potatoes, but looking for advice on the ribs? Should I go dry to match the Texas cooks, go the other extreme with a super sweet compition rib or go down the middle with a safe rub and light sauce? Any advice?

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    BBQ novices typically like sweet and the experts will want to see the meat sing. With that said, I'd go middle road.

Either way, my only advice is to go with a technique that you have mastered. I personally wouldn't go into a comp with an unproven method.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    For Texas style you better go dry rub and make it simple. Not meaning that Texas taste is simple, just the most rubs there are simple ingredient s. Dont go crazy. Salt pepper, garlic, onoin, chile powder, paprika, and a little brown sugar. That just my 2 cents worth.