Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lazzari Lump Hardwood (Oak)

Options
Has anyone switched from Lazzari to anything different?  I don't know any different in terms of lump since this is all I have used but I am finding huge discrepancies between size.  I am getting huge chunks that I almost have to hammer into smaller pieces.  If so, what else does everyone recommend?  I can get Lazarri for $25 for 2 20 lb. bags.   Or do I stick with Lazzari?  
Large BGE
Lexington, SC

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    If you like how it burns, stick with it. You can make big pieces smaller, bur you can't make smaller pieces bigger.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Maizeandbrew18
    Options
    caliking said:
    If you like how it burns, stick with it. You can make big pieces smaller, bur you can't make smaller pieces bigger.
    Part of my reason for entertaining more options as well is the fact I've had a fire die on me.  It seems this stuff blocks airflow quite a bit.  I'm not sure if this is true of all lump brands.
    Large BGE
    Lexington, SC
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    Fired dieing is a no no.  switch charcoal.
    Cookin in Texas
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options

Big pieces enhance air flow, small pieces can kill air flow.  Lazzarri Oak is very good, Lazzari Mesquite is the worst. IMO

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @1310monster: I've wanted to try their tandoor grade lump in my tandoor for years, but could never figure out a way to buy  a reasonable amount for a reasonable price. I would be very interested in what you think of it.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Maizeandbrew18
    Options
    I ended up trying it one more time...got a 20 lb. bag of Lazzri Mesquite and a 20 lb. bag of Lazzari Oak.  I did a fire last night with Mesquite and wow is that ever hot stuff.  I had fire coming up to my platesetter.  It seems like these bags are a good in terms of large/medium/small pieces.  I might've had a bad batch last time.

I also saw a 20 lb. bag of "The Good One" at Ace but it was $17.99 (pretty steep).  Anyone have any luck with this stuff before?
    Large BGE
    Lexington, SC
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Costco business delivery has Lazzari Mesquite 40lb bags for 13.28 each delivered. There is a $20 dollar surcharge for orders under $250.

They only ship to certain areas, though:

All prices listed are delivered prices from Costco Business Delivery. Merchandise can only be shipped to businesses within the greater Puget Sound, San Francisco Bay, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Diego, Phoenix and Atlanta metropolitan areas.
  • acegg77
    acegg77 Posts: 120
    Options
    Granted, I'm a newbie... only have my egg since April. I had execllent results with the BGE charcoal. But it is expensive so when it ran out I took a flyer on the Lazzari Oak... about $17 for a 20 lb. bag compared to the $31 for the BGE brand. 

I would not buy it again. Not only did it take much longer to light, there was no way it would burn as hot, and the fact there there were rocks in the bag... it was just false economy compared to the quality of the expensive BGE brand (Royal Oak?)

Flavor. I could hardly taste the "smoke" compared to BGE. 

I did nothing different between the two brands... but the Lazzari would hardly ever get above 450 degrees and would take 40 minutes to do so. It also took two fire-starter square to lite. There was little or no imparted flavor to my steaks and chicken.

I wrote to the Lazzari people (they are nearby in San Francisco) and asked them why they put their name on their Mesquite brand but not on their "generic" brand... which they claim is oak. They were very nice and wrote back saying that the generic is made in Mexico and was designed to be a low margin product of lesser quality for restaurants and they didn't want to "brand" because of that. Think about it. If they won't put their name on it, what does it tell you about it?

The other day I ran out (thankfully) and moved back to the BGE brand and it was a huge world of difference. The pieces were "graded" and it lit faster and got way, way, way hotter in almost no time at all... 400 degrees in 10 minutes. It took Lazzari 20 mins to reach that... if I was lucky.

Cheap "is" as cheap "does." I won't go back. Yes, I know a lot of people have good results with this "off brand" and maybe I just got a bad bag (complete with some rocks!)... but there is no way I would recommend this product. 

I was at Whole Foods (aka Whole Paycheck) the other day and they had 8  lb. of "natural hardwood charcoal" http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/products/real-hardwood-charcoal  for about $9 as I remember. I should have picked up a bag to try but it was stacked outside the store and I forgot as I was checking out. 

Yeah, I don't like paying $31 for a 20 lb. bag of lump, but I found that the difference in my cooks was huge and if I have to, I'll just bite the bullet and buy the BGE. I'd like to find where I can buy Royal Oak in the Sacramento area. I've not found it yet. 

If you are thinking about Lazzari, well, my experience with a 20 lb. bag was terrible. I hope yours is better.

• Maizeandbrew18
    Options
    acegg77 said:
    Granted, I'm a newbie... only have my egg since April. I had execllent results with the BGE charcoal. But it is expensive so when it ran out I took a flyer on the Lazzari Oak... about $17 for a 20 lb. bag compared to the $31 for the BGE brand. 

I would not buy it again. Not only did it take much longer to light, there was no way it would burn as hot, and the fact there there were rocks in the bag... it was just false economy compared to the quality of the expensive BGE brand (Royal Oak?)

Flavor. I could hardly taste the "smoke" compared to BGE. 

I did nothing different between the two brands... but the Lazzari would hardly ever get above 450 degrees and would take 40 minutes to do so. It also took two fire-starter square to lite. There was little or no imparted flavor to my steaks and chicken.

I wrote to the Lazzari people (they are nearby in San Francisco) and asked them why they put their name on their Mesquite brand but not on their "generic" brand... which they claim is oak. They were very nice and wrote back saying that the generic is made in Mexico and was designed to be a low margin product of lesser quality for restaurants and they didn't want to "brand" because of that. Think about it. If they won't put their name on it, what does it tell you about it?

The other day I ran out (thankfully) and moved back to the BGE brand and it was a huge world of difference. The pieces were "graded" and it lit faster and got way, way, way hotter in almost no time at all... 400 degrees in 10 minutes. It took Lazzari 20 mins to reach that... if I was lucky.

Cheap "is" as cheap "does." I won't go back. Yes, I know a lot of people have good results with this "off brand" and maybe I just got a bad bag (complete with some rocks!)... but there is no way I would recommend this product. 

I was at Whole Foods (aka Whole Paycheck) the other day and they had 8  lb. of "natural hardwood charcoal" http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/products/real-hardwood-charcoal  for about $9 as I remember. I should have picked up a bag to try but it was stacked outside the store and I forgot as I was checking out. 

Yeah, I don't like paying $31 for a 20 lb. bag of lump, but I found that the difference in my cooks was huge and if I have to, I'll just bite the bullet and buy the BGE. I'd like to find where I can buy Royal Oak in the Sacramento area. I've not found it yet. 

If you are thinking about Lazzari, well, my experience with a 20 lb. bag was terrible. I hope yours is better.

I just made the switch to Royal Oak (found it in Michigan) and it was $5.25 for an 8.8 lb bag.  I stocked up and I will never go back to Lazzari.  Less ash and you're right, the "smell" isn't there.  Much better quality with Royal Oak.
    Large BGE
    Lexington, SC
  • LeoHat2
    LeoHat2 Posts: 32
    Options

When I lived in teh Seattle area, a place called Cash N' Carry had Lazzari Mesquite in 40 pound bags. I liked it. I thought it burned nice and hot for quick cooks and burned a little hot for low/slows but not horribly bad. I don't remember the price but it was a good deal.