Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3 lb. Bone-In Boston Butt smoking time?

Options
I am a newbie on the Large BGE (really have only done ribs in terms of low and slow) and I am looking to smoke a 3 lb. bone-in Boston Butt for the wife and I.

I am using a mix of pecan and cherry wood, have the butt rubbed and ready to go.  

The question:  how long should it go for?  I'd rather do it longer at lower temps than something quicker (I have the time today).  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks all!
Large BGE
Lexington, SC

Comments

• brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Options
    Set up the egg for in-direct (plate setter legs up) and stabilize at 250-275. A drip pan is also a good idea, but set it on small wads of foil to create a gap between the plate setter and the drip pan. If you have a remote probe thermometer set it for 190. Let it go till the thermometer says its done. There are rough formulas you can use to estimate the total cooki
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • Maizeandbrew18
    Options
    brianwdmn said:
    Set up the egg for in-direct (plate setter legs up) and stabilize at 250-275. A drip pan is also a good idea, but set it on small wads of foil to create a gap between the plate setter and the drip pan. If you have a remote probe thermometer set it for 190. Let it go till the thermometer says its done. There are rough formulas you can use to estimate the total cooki
    Thanks, Brian!  I just got a Maverick so I'll keep an eye on the temp for 190*.  
    Large BGE
    Lexington, SC
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I would go to 200 internal temp if you are gonna pull it.
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Options
    There's always carry over, but I don't disagree with 200 either. Another tip popular on this forum is F,T,C, or wrap in Foil, then with a Towel, and put it in an empty Cooler. Especially helpful if it is finished earlier than planned. It also makes pulling easier even after 30 minutes in there.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • Crispix49
    Crispix49 Posts: 191
    Options
    Cook to temp, but my best estimate for time is at 300* it's about an hour a pound to get to195-200 IT
    Atlanta suburbs
    Large & Mini owner
    UGA Alum - Go Dawgs!
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Options
    Definitely smoke to temp not time.  But a SWAG would be about 4 hours +/-.  Agree on the 195-200 internal temp for pulling.  Keep the egg closed.  If you're lookin it ain't cookin. 
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    Options
    For me, my egg, cooking at 230-240 dome, it takes me almost exactly 2 hrs per pound.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • Maizeandbrew18
    Options
    Thanks all - I had some issues (my fire went out after a clogged hole and ended up taking me about 9 hours) but I managed to pull it off at 190* and let it sit in a cooler before pulling.  Turned out great.
    Large BGE
    Lexington, SC