Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to clean a pizza stone?

Options
The Virginian
The Virginian Posts: 275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last week I cooked some Cornish pasties on my new pizza stone. They left a little bit of a mess on the stone. How do you clean these things? Is soap and water good, or will it hurt the stone? [p]Thanks, [p]Brett

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    Options
    The Virginian,
    soap is not a good idea - the stone is pourous and will suck it up like a sponge - that will ruin it. Just get the temp up on it and scrape off any goop or drippings. When it cools down you can scrape it again and you should be good to go. Joe

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    The Virginian,
    just like your plate setter. . .heat it up, then scrape/brush off any crud. . .it's supposed to be black after a while. ...

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    a black stone is a seasoned stone is a happy stone.... Joe

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Smokin Joe,
    you got that right. . .guess i shoulda read your response before i started running my fingers across the keyboard. ..heee. . .but i'll tell you. . .let em (stones/platesetters) go too long without the occasional high temp cleaning, and you will have one big smoking egg on your hand as the accumulated gunk starts burning off. . .and worse, let the temps go up and you'll have a heck of fire. ...the surface of my plate setter once stayed on fire for about 10 minutes after not cleaning it for a long time. .. .

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    when i yank off whatever meat i'm cooking (when it's done) i just flip the pizza stone upside down and let the lit lump take care of the cleaning job as the egg cools down.[p]same with the daisy wheel.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    stike,
    did i just type "yank off the meat"?[p]have at it, backer, et al.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    A good neighbor would have cleaned it for him after using the egg.[p]LOL[p]Mike

• Unknown
    Options
    The Virginian, any crud that remains after a good scrape can be removed with a piece of fine-grit sand paper.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    That was one of my first questions on the Forum and I got the same answers. Now if my pizza stone isn't black I think something is wrong.[p]Just watched your namesake movie on HBO. I slept through most of it but it was still just as "questionable" as the first time I saw it. Why do we men put ourselves through such stuff? Entertainment of course.[p]Just heat it up and cook another pizza.[p]Spring "Still On This Side Of The Road" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    wow, you must have waited to a good bit before trying to burn everything off??? Either that or your're cooking with a lot of prushutti (Max, I can't speel worth a darn. Heeee) Joe

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    stike,
    now that I re-read your post - yes you did! Heeee. Joe

• QDawg
    QDawg Posts: 1
    Options
    The Virginian,
    If you have a self cleaning oven, stick it in there and it will come out new.