Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking a Brisket

I always smoke pork. I want to smoke a brisket next week. I want to smoke it at a low temp for a long time. What temp do you typically smoke at and for how long? Also, does anyone marinate the brisket? I have always just rubbed the meat. Thanks for any suggestions!!

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Rub, smoke and love. That's it.

275 grate temp. Avg about 1hr per lb.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Thanks Travisstrick!!
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    I will generally do mine a little lower than travis, maybe 235-250* for an extra couple hours.  But either way will work perfectly.  In fact I will probably go the 275* route on my next brisket.  And no need to marinate.  I usually rub it down a day or so before if I have time and wrap it in cellophane or even a trash bag in the fridge, but I've also rubbed it down and put it on the smoker within minutes and turned out great. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• That sounds good Kenny!!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Buy good quality meat!  Choice or Prime.  From a good source.  Can make a world of difference. 
  • Thanks Nola!! I actually buy a half a cow at a time. The cattle farmer's family has been raising and selling beef for over 100 years. The cows are all natural and never injected. I have seen how they age and process the beef. The best thing about it is if you purchase a half cow, you pay $3.45 per pound. In Charleston, the price for hamburger is over $5. It hurts writing the check up front, but it is a great deal and lasts us about a year.
  • milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    @CharlestonGriller I spent many years marching on the Ashley River.  Good luck to you - agree with @TravisTrick just rub smoke and love (read: watch it) @ 275.  I usually go a little slower at 225 degrees until the IT is 190-195 then I pull and wrap.  Finished product looks like a meteorite.  I cook with fat cap on top, I never trim the fat until I am ready to serve. As for rub, tried coffee rub, dizzy dust, BGE sweet maple....but my family likes Franklin's version of just salt and pepper.  It is a very traditional bark.  

Bon Appetit!
  • Thanks Miles!! Hope you make it back to Charleston!! I am looking forward to the brisket!!