Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Butt on the LBGE

This weekend I made my first attempt at smoking a butt on my new LBGE.  The result was very good and the neighbors enjoyed the meal.  

I coated the butt in yellow mustard and then rubbed it with Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust at around 11:30PM the night before.  The smoke came from 6 large chunks of hickory.  Sprayed with apple juice once an hour starting at the 7 hour mark.  

Total cook time at 225 was right at 13 hours (Bumped to 350 the last hour).  The stall lasted roughly 4 hours and it was a painful experience considering I needed the butt done for a group of 8 adults and 5 kids at a decent hour.  

Butt Size:  7 1/2 Pounds
Start Time: 7:40AM
Finish Time:  8:30PM

The lesson learned from my first smoked butt....BE PREPARED FOR THE STALL!    

LGE - Roswell, GA

Comments

• WalrusBBQ
    WalrusBBQ Posts: 153
    Looks awesome man!

Thanks for sharing
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

• 2putts4par
    2putts4par Posts: 36
    Hey LeesApproved.  I'm unfamiliar with the stall, but am going to attempt my first butt this weekend.  What is it and how did you handle it?  Thanks, man.

• Amazing Ribs will tell you everything you need to know.  Every piece of meat has a different amount of water that will have to evaporate during the stall, so your cook time is going to change from butt to butt.  

See below link.  Credit to Amazingribs.com.  

Here is the summary...And then there is the most scary part of the cook: The Stall. The temp will rise steadily to about 150°F and slow down for a looooonnnng while as moisture moves to the surface and evaporates. It might hold between 150 and 160°F for up to 5 hours. Don't panic and don't crank the heat. Be patient. 

Because of the stall, it is hard to predict exactly how long it will take to cook. The determining factor is the thickness of the meat, not the weight, but since most shoulders are about the same shape, weight and thickness are related, so we'll go by weight. Plan on 2 hours per pound at 225°F, and if it finishes early, wrap it in foil and pop it in the kitchen oven at about 170°F or in a faux Cambro, which is just a beer cooler.

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/perfect_pulled_pork.html

LGE - Roswell, GA
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Everybody remembers their first Butt ;;)

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

When your in the stall and want to hurry it up - bump the heat.   I think most would agree that you can take a butt to 350 at finish and it will be fine.  Some turbo it all the way.

I quit doing the spritzer with apple juice.  I have started injecting with a frenzy prior to putting it on.   I think I get more out of injecting than the spritzing ever did.  Just my opinion.

Cookin in Texas
  • I smoke a lot and just did my first smoke on the LBGE this weekend. Yours looked really good. I smoked four 7lb butts for 17 hours to an internal temp to 195. They were awesome. The egg was extremely easy compared to the weber smokey mountain smoker (and I thought I liked that one). I am doing a brisket next!!
  • dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    LeesApproved Butt look great. I do have one suggestion for you tho. You should run your probe cables across one of the legs of your PS to keep them from direct heat, or at least foil them. JMO

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

• LeesApproved Butt look great. I do have one suggestion for you tho. You should run your probe cables across one of the legs of your PS to keep them from direct heat, or at least foil them. JMO
    Thanks Doug!  I will adjust on my next smoke. 
    LGE - Roswell, GA
  • Rocket15
    Rocket15 Posts: 42
    I just did a 9lb butt and it took 18 hours (at 225) so 2 hours/lb is a good number to use.  If you are done a little early, wrap it up in foil and a towel and put it in a cooler, it will stay warm for a few hours.  This should help in planning.