Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is up with RO?!?

Ok, I realize thee have been a lot of threads about RO lately but I wanted to share these pics. All I want out of life is consistency. After buying several bags of RO that included 80% of the lump being the size of a quarter (see 1st pic) I decided I was done with RO...something had changed. So, I decided to give OO a try. I went to my local distributor and they said they haven't received a shipment in 2 weeks. So, against my will, I went to Wally World for more RO. I am cooking a butt today so I went to sift through (2) bags to fine some decent pieces and found this...(see 2nd pic) 80% of this bag has fist size pieces and larger. What is going on?!? imageimage
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!

Comments

500 Posts: 3,177
    I've only seen bags like the first pic, and those had uncharred pieces that would catch fire. Not a fan. I'm happy with Kroger lump, even though they are supposed to be the same.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    All lump is going to vary in size, it comes out a giant kilm and is packaged as it comes out.  I have never considered the size of any lump i have used as a method of my cooking results, pour it in-right out of the bag - for over three years!!  I get a few rocks too.  But as long as it weighs what the bag is sold for, i burn it up!!  Some times it has large pieces, sometimes small..... 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Most of mine look like the second pic. Got a couple of bags a while back that had some small stuff, but nothing like your first pic. Just bought my first 17 lb bags, but haven't opened one yet.

Maybe my Walmart is just classier than yours. 
    :))

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Walmart and classy in the same sentence.... :-O
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I've never had a problem with RO. But just imagine how lump is made. I imagine quality control would be very hard to have a close bag to bag similarity.

XLBGE 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Google "people of Walmart"....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN