Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Better Seer with new CI grid on PSWoo3

Options
My 13" CI grid came in yesterday. We had some friends over for their first Eggsperience. Sirloin fillets, Zucchini Quiche and allsid's Filo Wrapped  Asparagus were on the menu. The CI grid made a huge difference with the seer. I tried it with a SS grid last week and there were practically no marks. I still overdid it a bit. I will have to pull at 100* next time to get a medium finish with a reverse seer. I changed up allsid's aparagus recipie and used Tuscan Spice mix and Parmesan cheese. I couldn't find the Chile Spice that he used. It came out great anyway.

Steve

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Good looking meal.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Options
    I want to get a cast iron grid but don't want to drop the $$$$$ to do it.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Looks good! Especially like that asparagus!!

rholt (or anyone else interested in doing it on the cheap), I don't have a woo or a 13" CI. But I did find two 8" CI grids at an antique shop a couple of years ago. Drop one right on the coals, let it get smokin' hot and sear. When done, just add the regular grid for the roast. Egg temp never has to go above 400°. I think I paid $2 each. Wish they had been 10 inchers, could have used one on the mini.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BrotherEgg
    BrotherEgg Posts: 95
    Options
    Wow! That looks perfect Michael. One question... do you seer with the dome up or down. I've been closing it but I think I'm leaving it on too long while I burp it etc.

_______________________________________________________________________________
    Large BGE, PSWoo3, 13"CI grid, Grid Extender, Weber Genesis B Gasser/BGE Storage Cabinet
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    I leave it open. Seems like the coals get hotter, but the dome temp doesn't. Light the lump, put the searing grid in, close the dome and let it stabilize at 400-ish. Open the dome, do NOT adjust your vent setting, leave them at what go you to 400, throw the meat on 45 sec, rotate a little, another 45 sec and then flip and do it again. Time depends on how you like your steaks of course, and thickness.That steak was about 1.5" thick. Also, in my case, I can only do one at a time, although with a filet, maybe three? Might get two NY Strips on there. It's only 8". Pic is a ribeye.

When done, put the standard grid back in, close the dome and wait for 400° again. Won't take long. Then the finishing roast. A T-pen comes in handy... practice too. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

Looks good! Especially like that asparagus!!

rholt (or anyone else interested in doing it on the cheap), I don't have a woo or a 13" CI. But I did find two 8" CI grids at an antique shop a couple of years ago. Drop one right on the coals, let it get smokin' hot and sear. When done, just add the regular grid for the roast. Egg temp never has to go above 400°. I think I paid $2 each. Wish they had been 10 inchers, could have used one on the mini.

I like going low too. Do you have any armchair left. If I go that low I can't do crosshatch because I am a girl.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    LOL! Welders gloves and long tongs. Might have even had on a long sleeve shirt too. Don't remember. Whatever - it's a dam sight less nerve wracking than a 900° pizza! You just pray that it's done the first time you check. Opening it twice is quite enough.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut