Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rack of Lamb recommendation...

Hi All,

One of my all time faves is rack of lamb. I've never tried it on the Egg though.

Can anyone point me to a recipe for the BGE?

Thanks!

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    @TorontoBBQer.... just type "rack of lamb" in the search box at the top right of this page. That will point you to a number of posts that you may find helpful.

In what area of TO are you located?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited June 2013

Lamb, Rack, Richard Fl.

Just a little rack of lamb or two and some asparageese.

INGREDIENTS:
    2 Racks Lamb
    1 Pkg Asparagus
    Lamb Marinade:
    1 cup Italian Salad Dressing
    4-6 Cloves Garlic, Whole
    1/3 cup Sweet or Red Onion, Diced
    1/3 cup Rosemary, Fresh Leaves
    1 Tbs Black Pepper, Fresh Ground
    1 pinch Sea Salt
    1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
    1 Lemon, Juice From
    Zaatar, (Optional)
    Fresh Mint leaves, ( Optional )
    1/4 cup Soy Sauce, ( Optional )

I like to wrap the lamb bones in foil so they do not get charred.

PROCEDURE:

1. Rack of Lamb:

2. Asparaaageese:

3. Finished:

Marinade:

1. Place all in blender and puree. Place meat in ziploc bag and marinate for 4-6 hours, overnight is OK but be careful after 12 hours as the lemon juice has a tendency to "COOK" the meat.

2. This works well for lamb kabobs, legs, rack or shoulders and shanks.

3. Soy sauce may be added for optional flavor.,

4. If doing shanks, like to cut into 1 1/2-2 inch pieces as this tends to reduce the cooking time.

5. Save the rosemary twigs for smoke!

6. 350F direct high in dome until 140F or so, keep turning the racks

Recipe Type: Main Dish, Meat

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2009/08/07*
    Web Page: http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=700869&catid=1

• @TorontoBBQer.... just type "rack of lamb" in the search box at the top right of this page. That will point you to a number of posts that you may find helpful.

In what area of TO are you located?
    Thanks I'll give that a try.

I'm in the High Park area of TO.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited June 2013
    My favourite way is to season with rosemary, garlic and olive oil and hot tub for about 40 minutes

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Do you wear swim trunks in the hot tub?  :))
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    That's why I put the olive oil on the lamb.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TexanOfTheNorth
    That's why I put the olive oil on the lamb.

=))
  • Start with a little olive oil on the rack. Season rack with salt/pepper/granulated garlic. Get egg up to about 500, direct. Sear all sides of the rack for about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove rack. Take egg to 400 degrees and add plate setter. While egg cools down a bit, take rack inside. Brush on honey mustard all over rack.

In a bowl, mix bread crumbs, minced garlic, garlic salt, pepper, rosemary, and a squeeze of lemon. Add in olive oil until the mixture can be spread and stick to the rack. Spread mixture all over rack.

Place racks back on egg, at 400 degrees, indirect. Take temp to 125, about 15 minutes.

My wife's favorite!!!
  • jdgcrean
    jdgcrean Posts: 44

ArizonaEggHead 's suggested rub sounds about right, though i'd add some minced shallots.

not sure where you're getting your lamb in toronto, but i can't recommend enough the lamb from best baaa farms. they have stall in the north, farmer's market on Saturday's at the St. Lawrence market.

http://www.bestbaa.com/bestbaa/howtobuy.php