Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Father's Day Firsts

Acn
Acn Posts: 4,424
Did a couple of things for the first time today, starting with bread of the egg. Just used the basic bread recipe from Ruhlman's "Ratio" and cooked in the Dutch oven on the egg. Here it is, ready to go on, rubbed with some olive oil and sprinkled with garlic sea salt.

Cooked with the lid on at 450 for 30 minutes, here it is when I pulled the lid:

Usually just cook for another 20 minutes, but the temp spiked. Had to cut off some burned parts, and may need to replace the Dutch oven, but it was still tasty.

Also for dinner was my first attempt at tri-tip. Rubbed it with The Rub Co. Santa Maria style, a gift from my exchange elf. image
Used the grill extender, started indirect on the top grill at about 310-325, with the lower grid on the fire ring, and my pizza stone to make it indirect.
After about 25 minutes, got an internal temp of 115, pulled the tri tip, removed the pizza stone (unfortunately now in two pieces, that'll need to be replaced) and let the heat up to about 425+, and gave the meat 1-1/2 minutes per side directly on the flame. Here it is pulled and sliced:

No plated pics, but we had the bread and beef with cheddar grits and a salad of mixed greens, mushrooms, sliced mini peppers, toasted pecans, dried cranberries and feta, with my wife's homemade vinaigrette.

Once I got done with the yard work, it was a pretty good day.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    One of my fav things is fresh bread and good butter, so I'd definitely hit that. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Is that the 7qt lodge enameled CI DO? I just got one for Father's Day.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Did the dutch oven crack? Is that why you mention it might need replacing?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I like tri tip, but I really started liking it when I cut it thinner. I suggest trying it, almost a shave, as close as possible without a meat slicer, try it. cut a piece or two really thin.

looks great, I want to do bread soon!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Nice to see you trying the rub so soon!  Bread looks good. I would agree on slicing tri-tip thinner.  It'll make for a more tender bite.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    "May need to replace the D.O."

I bake bread in my egg quite often using a No Knead recipe, it calls for baking in a D.O. but I do not have one. I bake mine directly on a the pizza stone and place a metal mixing bowl over the loaf for the first 30 min then remove and let it brown for about 20 more min. All done at 450. Works great for me and my family. 

That does look like a great cook.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Thanks all!

@travistrick, I believe it is the 6-quart, but it is the Lodge enameled cast iron.

@scottboasjr, when we got the bread out, a bunch of the bottom crust was stuck on the bottom, we've been soaking, but I don't know how much we'll need to scrape, or if any enameling was impacted. Also, it is entirely possible that it will remain perfectly functional but based on cosmetic reasons, it will become an Egg specific pot, and it will need to be 'replaced' for 'indoor' use.

Next time I will definitely try slicing the tri tip thinner! @r2egg2q, I've also used the cherry run on chicken breast. As expected the 5 year old loves the fact that it is a little sweeter.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    The bread and tri-tip both look great.  Tri looks like it is cooked perfectly.  How did you like it?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Mix up a paste of bartenders friend in the DO let it soak a bit then it should clean right up.
    Lynnwood WA