Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooks Illustiated meets the EGG

Options

Egg neophyte. 

Just roasted my first turkey and used the Cooks Illustrated technique.  Used a frozen brined Kosher bird at 12+ lbs - took several days to thaw in the fridge.  Coated turkey with butter (I microwaved the butter which solidified on the skin when painted on); used OTC rub, and placed the turkey on a v-rack after placing heavy duty aluminum foil over the rack and perforated it 50 times with a sharp knife.  Now Cooks illustrated tells you to initial cook the turkey breast side down at 425 degrees for one hour to one hour and 1/2 and then flip the bird breast side up and finish 2 hours or so at 300-350.  No basting the bird.  Put the v-rack into a disposable aluminum pan with three bunches of green onions, quartered onions, giblets, and one container of low sodium chicken stock.  When the appropriate temperature was reached with a quick read probe testing every 15 minutes a couple of hours after the turkey was flipped.

It turned out great, the back was done, and the drippings make great gravy.

Definitely Eggalisous!!!

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Sounds great!  I love some Turkey on the egg.  The gravy is a nice bonus!  

Do you think flipping the bird made a difference?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokinTiger81
    Options

I am a big Cooks Illustrated fan, one of the few websites I pay to subscribe to each year.  Lots of their recipes are easily adaptable to the Egg (except their creme brulee--I still do that in regular oven).  Congrats on the turkey.  One other trick tip, from MadMax, is to ice the breasts with ziplock bags of ice for 20 minutes or so before cooking--this cools them so they cook slower and finish same time as legs/thighs without overcooking.