Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fall off the bone baby back ribs (attempt #4)

Options
2»

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    hours indirect - foiled - direct

I usually do X-0-0 where X = time until it's done.
    Options
    You aren't alone @yankeeredfisher..I'm guessing though that they are referring to the amount of time in each stage of the cook:  First number representing smoking time, second number representing foil time, third number representing time sauced maybe?  I don't foil mine in a traditional manner personally.  If I do, it's in a rack pan above a pool of apple juice. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    edited June 2013
    Options

Here's a long version;

All rib cooks are some variation around X-0-0 which translates into the following: Basically ribs are cooked as usual (bone side down for me) for the first X hours. Then they are removed from the cooker and wrapped with liquid (Q sauce, some other liquid for flavoring etc) in a foil pouch with the meat side down. This becomes step -0- mentioned above. The sealed ribs are then returned to the cooker.  At the end of the "0" time-frame, the ribs are removed from the foil and then put back on the BGE for the final "0" time-frame.  This is when sauce is added if your desire.  X-X-X defines the cook cycle.  Those of us X-0-0 run without any of the above extras.  It's all in what you like.And to determine when they are finished-the bend test if you have full racks-pick them up on one end and if they bend around 90* they are finished.  Another method-use a toothpick and insert in the thickest meat-in and out with no resistance and finished. Also look for a good meat pull-back on the bones. FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • maximus1
    maximus1 Posts: 38
    Options
    for fall off the bone, i foil for hour and a half after coating ribs in honey, then add apple juice to foil.  For ribs I want to eat, I use carwash mikes recipe, never had it fail.  
    2 Large BGE, 1 Small.  
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    3-1-1 3- means 3 hours indirect 1- means 1 hour in the foil 1- means last hour out of the foil direct Later tonight I will post some pictures.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Options
    Typically it is 3 hours slow and low over indirect heat, remove and wrap in foil and cook low and slow 2 hours, unwrap and cook for an additional hour.  Sometimes they will cook faster and sometimes they go the full 6 hours.  Every rack of ribs is different and you will get the hang of it after a few tries.  They 3-2-1 method at 225-240 degrees is just about fool-proof.  Good luck!

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    Options
    I find that 3-2-1 works well for spare ribs but is a bit too long for baby backs where I use 2-1-1.

For fall off the bone, you need more time braising in the liquid. For a 4 hour cook for baby backs, you might do an experiment with 4 racks of ribs cooked at the same time:

0 - 4 - 0
    0.5 - 3 - 0.5
    1 - 2 - 1
    2 - 1 - 1