Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Indirect meat cooks, epic fail

Options
Twice now. Have trouble with a feet-up indirect.....the meat seems to toughen, not get tender. First time ribs, edible but more smoked than anything and a little pinker than I like. Tonights pork shoulder, 5 lbs.....6+hrs at 250 then some direct heat. Like rubbah...into the trash. Any tips? Everything else has been stellar.
When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    What was the temp of the butt when you pulled it?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Not much help with ribs from me, but as for the shoulder, assuming you were looking for pulled pork, it was likely not done yet. Probably safe to slice and eat, but not pullable. For pulled pork, 5 lbs = 7 1/2 to 10 hours though you shouldn't use that as anything but a guide. Cook to an internal temp of 195-200° no matter how long it takes. When you can stick a thermo probe in the meat with no resistance at all, it's done. Dome temp, 250°. No direct needed, all indirect.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Carolina Q just gave you your answer.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options
    Yes about 185-190 depending on where I took its temp. Didnt want to overdo, but the meat felt tough to the fingers, so I pulled and let it rest. Definitely longer next time.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    I once had one that was done at one end, but not the other. It was late and I was hungry, so I pulled part of it for dinner and left the rest on the egg. :D

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Nice grid doofus. I can't get your Skype message cause I have windows 8. You say anything about a mac and i'll be there in seven hours...just sayin

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Man, you're on a roll tonight. :D Not my fault you're stuck with a PC and Win8. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I'm heading for the truck RFN

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options
    Mine was already grey and dry....at least the part I did (try to) eat. That one looks succulent and juicy in comprison.