Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First Brisket Adventure or Saga, depending on how you look at it.................

Options

Team Eggers-<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Armed with hours of blog and board reading, coupled with days of watching YouTube videos on grilling the perfect Brisket, I set out this weekend to throw my hat in the ring. I thought I'd share my trial and tribulations with the group.

I started with a 9.7trimmed Brisket and worked off a bit of the fat from both sides, being careful to leave the 1/8 wherever possible.

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" />image

I scored against the grain after trimming the backside to know which way to slice- per multiple suggestions on this board:

My marinade plan was as follows-- using Whataburger yellow mustard (my fav sold now at HEB) I coated liberally both sides and then rubbed a brisket rub purchased online from Texas Daddy BBQ ( another board suggestion heavily on both sides of the brisket. I wrapped in saran wrap and placed in the fridge for 24 hours.

24 hours later I pulled from the fridge, unwrapped the Brisket onto cutting board. I made a beef broth mix  with worsh sauce, beef broth and garlic. I injected this into every square inch of the brisket:

My fire plan was larger lump coal on the bottom, smaller pieces on top. I cleaned out the grill completely and began stacking the lump coal. I also placed four big chunks of apple wood along with some cherry chips scattered throughout grill. I lit the fire and watched it burn for a bit, closed the lid and went back inside for roughly ten minutes to do a final prep on the brisket.

On my return, I saw large flames but the tem reading only said 200. it took me several minutes to realize the gauge had gone all the way around-- resulting in a ~1,000 degree fire. This was problem one i would later realize, as much of my fire was ashes before my long cook ever started.

I quickly work to get the temperature down to 300. Once I’m in that range, I place the place setter in and a drip pan (which turns out to be larger than the plate setter so I have to make bends to get it to conform to the space........ which created further issue with air restriction.

Grill on top, brisket placed on the grill, settings set and I watch 250 degrees hit and steady for an hour.

Wow- three days of work and I begin to think I'm going to pull this off!

To bed I go. It's probably 9 PM ish.

Around 6 AM I stumble outside, and to my nightmare the temperature gauge reads 0. I open the grill and realize the lump copal, wood and chips all burned through. I checked with my thermpen and got a reading of 140 degrees. okay-- that's salvageable. I turn the over on at 210, wrap in foil and proceed to build a new fire.

14 hours of total cook time later, my finished product is as follows:

image image

The broth made the brisket amazingly tender-- the taste was a bit too salty for me. i think the combination of too much rub along with the flawed cook time resulted in the outside not crisping up in parts. Either way, huge lesson for me this round--

Always check the fire and have the right mix of coal and wood.

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Glad that all came out okay for you in the end!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.