Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

At what temp is pork butt done? (stall at 190 degree internal temp)

FireTower
FireTower Posts: 69
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
My pork butt has been at 190 degrees internal temp for the past 2.5 hours.

It's a 8.3lb butt that's been on the egg for the past 13 hours at 244 grate temperature.

This is my second pork butt. Thanks to the help I've received from this forum I decided to try again after a not so succesful first attempt. So far everything is great! Just need to know if this butt is done.

The egg has been holding a steady 244 degrees for the past 13 hours and I don't want to open the lid and ruin that unless it is necessary.

Thanks!

Comments

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    195-200.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Sounds like you have hit the dreaded 2nd stall. It happens. It's done when you can stick a temp probe in like buttah. Be patient you will get there.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Amen to the secnd stall- I have seen this crawl into the mid 190's take 4-5 hours. In addition to the temp probe indications if this is bone-in, when the bone pulls clean you are finished and it could be the low 200's.  Regardless, it's gonna be great eats.  You have demonstrated great patience so far-hang in there.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    At 244 grid this can easily happen.  Also , have you checked the calibration of your grid stat?  I would bump the temperature up 30+ degrees and push it thhru this stall.  This is just another reason to consider turbo cooking butts, there is no stall period.
  • FireTower
    At 16 hours in the egg the butt temp dropped a couple degrees because my egg dropped to 220. I pulled it and wrapped in foil and a towel and put in a cooler until lunch time. I think it'll be okay. The highest it got was 195 internal. But when I poked it with temp probe it was very soft and tender. Hopefully it tastes good.

There were a lot of coals left over. Maybe the ashes started to smother the airflow resulting in temperature drop after 15 hours?

Anyway, I stirred the coals around and added more applewood. Getting ready to cook buttermilk jalapeño cornbread in cast iron skillet.
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Great looking cook.  Let us know how it turned out.  Looks perfect.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Never seen this second stall, but it sounds like it's not unique.

Looks great though, and that cornbread is going to be excellent as well! Did you use a rub on this cook? Nice bark, and great mahogany color.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    The temps sometimes drop toward the end of a long cook, but usually come back up when more of the outer coals light.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited June 2013
    Ramping up the temp to about 300-325°F would get you through that stall easily. If its probe tender, then you should be okay. Usually I cook to about 200-205°F IT and then FTC. The hot n fast turbo method has its utility, but the bark from a lo n slo cook is what I prefer.  

And can you share the cornbread recipe? It sounds good.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • FireTower
    The pork was amazing. I purchased the butt pre-marinated from a local cajun meat shop. 

The corn bread is one of my favorites on the egg. Use this recipe, and add two jalapeños (including the seeds), the kernels from one grilled ear of corn, and about 10 ounces of cubed queso blanco cheese. I cook it in cast iron on the egg with applewood smoke. It is amazing. 
  • FireTower
    Forgot to mention, I cook the corn bread indirect at 350 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Power through.  At this point you don't need to be fussy about low and slow.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• FireTower
    Here's the finished cornbread. Everyone loved it
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    That cornbread looks pretty amazing!

Great cook all around! I can't wait to do my first butts this weekend!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • DenaSmoker
    DenaSmoker Posts: 44
    @FireTower about how long does the cornbread take at 350?

Great looking cook

• FireTower
    @DenaSmoker 20-25 minutes or so. I go until a tooth pick stuck in the center come out clean
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I was at 203 Sunday and it was fine. I was shooting for 200.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.