Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long will a Boston Butt last in cooler

Options
My 7.5 lb Boston butt finished a little early.. It is resting now, wrapped in foil in a cooler. Just curious on how long it is ok to keep it in the cooler? It has been a couple hours already. Is it better if i go ahead and pull it?
If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart

Comments

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Options
    I choose to pull it and reheat but I have seen an average of 4 hours total FTC'ing.  I have also seen some go 7-8 hours.  Your call.
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Magicman_007
    Options
    When I do this, I double wrap it in foil and the towels. I use towels to take up space in the cooler and hold heat. I have had them in there for 5 hours and they more or less help temp. I had pulled them at 200 F. I bet there were still 180+ when I unwrapped them and pulled them.

In the future, other tricks you can use to get longer hold temps. Put cooler directly in the sun to heat it up before you put the food in it. I have been know to put the cooler in the shower and fill it with the hottest water I can for 15 min right before i put food in it.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    I have been able to go 7 hours by FTC. Double wrap with foil.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.