Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Breaking it in! (part 2)

Options
Flank steak was Sunday's dinner.  Another simple meal since Mrs. Pittard and I were exhausted from the Eggfest.  Also, flank steak is something I've done successfully many times in the past, so I could achieve two results.  1.  Test how much better/easier a tried and true recipe is on an Egg vs. my firebox smoker/makeshift grill, and 2.  Learn how to control the temp of the Egg while not having to worry about making good food since this recipe is on auto-pilot.  The flank steak was marinated in Dale's, W-sauce, and lemon juice for about 4 hours.

I fired up the Egg again, this time attempting to not let it go nuclear from the get-go.  I really undershot it this time, so it took a while longer to get up to temp.  Things finally stabilize around 450° dome and I threw on some baking potatoes and began to enjoy a few beverages.

Guess those beverages go to me as I forgot to take pictures of most of the rest of the process.  Once the potatoes were done, I took them off and brought the temp down to around 325° dome and took out the plate setter to go direct on the flank steak.  Cooked it to 110° in the thickest part, pulled it off and opened up the Egg again to get a little bit of a sear on the steak.  

Pulled the steak at 130° in the thickest part and let it rest for a few more minutes.  Simple plating, but a perfect doneness.  I prefer not to flatten out the thicker parts of the flank steak when the in-laws are eating with us as they like a more medium to medium-well.  So the thicker part is perfect for me and SWMBO at the same time the thinner parts are good for the in-laws.

Mrs. Pittard wasn't feeling great, so she rested for the evening.  I enjoyed me dinner date with the other lady that stole my heart though.

She's definitely my kid.  She couldn't get enough of the steak and potatoes!

Another simple meal, but a good experience with the Egg.  All around this meal was much easier to cook and I love being able to go from 325° to 550° in just a few minutes.  I certainly learned a lot about temp control and knowing how long it takes the Egg to fully heat up.

LBGE with a massive wish list
Athens, Ga.

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Looks great and, your daughter is adorable! It's been more than 20 years since mine were that age... enjoy these years; they'll go by faster than you can imagine.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Yeungling, steak and potatoes and your little girl... some of the best things in life!
  • dpittard
    dpittard Posts: 126
    Options
    TexanOfTheNorth Thanks!  Like I said, she stole my heart from day 1.  I'm a proud daddy!

Eggcelsior Yep!  The Yuengling was left over from Friday night at my wife's uncle's mountain cabin and the Eggfest on Saturday.  It's my go-to when I prefer quantity of quality.

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.