Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Korean Short Ribs - Friday Night Cook

Options
Couple weeks ago, my next door neighbors were cooking Korean food and I had the good fortune of enjoying their hard work.  So tonight I decided I would replicate their version of magic with some Korean Short Ribs, called Bal-Gi.  Found a great recipe for a marinade and it is below.  

Marinade
3/4 Cup Soy
3/4 water
3 Tablespoons white vinegar
1/4 dark brown sugar
2 Tablespoons white sugar
1 Tablespoon Ground Black Pepper
2 Tablespoons sesame oil (I used dark or toasted, my preference)
1/4 cup minced garlic (the Queen cut this for me, I think about 6 cloves, which was more like 1/2 or 3/4 cup - we like garlic)
1/2 large onion, minced
3 pounds flanken ribs (Korean Style)

Used Cowboy Lump (kinda disappointed - found it in a nearby Safeway and decided to give a try - won't make that mistake again, not as good as the Wicked!).  Got the dome temp to 700F, closed the vent and threw the short ribs on. Temp dropped to 450 and was just right.  Pulled them out of the marinade with onions and garlic and all straight on the grate.  Super results.  Great short ribs.  The Queen made her signature shrimp with white/black sesame seeds stir fry (bamboo shoots, celery, zucchini squash, yellow squash, shitake mushrooms, etc.).  Coupled with white sticky rice out of the steamer and we have a winner (pic 5).  

Bon Appetit!

P.S.  got some heat still going on the BGE, decided to pull the Pork Sirloin Roast early from the brine (6 cups water, 1 cup of salt, home grown lemon thyme, 5 bay leaves, fresh ground tarragon) and throw on the BGE.  Will post pics later as it gets ready.  I love Friday Night.  

Comments