Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT... Yeti coolers

Options
shtgunal3
shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
Anybody have one? Are they worth the money? I really want one but not sure they worth it? Any advice is appreciated.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    edited May 2013
    Options
    What are you going to do with it? The only time I use a cooler... It would not be worth the money... I use a butt box for my FTC. 

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos The butt box

XLBGE 
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    For less money and they get great reviews check out pelican coolers. I think Nola bought one before Salado and he raved about it.
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options
    I have one. It is great. If I had it to do again I would buy it again. I should never need to buy another cooler. They are frightfully high though.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    I have a Roadie (20 gallon) and a 45 gallon Yeti. It depends on what you want to do. They are built like tanks for sure but if you are only going to use it for FTC purposes, then do not spend the money. They do keep ice and the contents for days .....better than the other stuff but maybe you do not need that ability. I agree the Pelican would work just as well for most uses. But.....Yeti is Yeti. :<)

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I know tons of folks with a Yeti. I saw Nola's Pelican. 

Get a Brute. Made in Tx and just as good as a Yeti and no where near as heavy as a Pelican. 

PLUS, 15% military discount. Just ask for it. They dont require proof. 

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback guys, biggest use for me would be beer and camping. Thanks for the link @travisstrick . When's the drill sergeant school start? I still remember boot camp like it was yesterday.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• banjoman
    banjoman Posts: 51
    Options
    The only downside to a Yeti besides the price is the weight.  I have a 50 quart and when loaded down it weighs a ton.  Definitely need two people to carry it any distance longer than a few feet.  They are incredibly tough and keep ice for a long time.  I would buy another if something happened to mine.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    July 24. It's bittersweet.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    Good luck @travisstrick long nights for sure

• jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    Options
    I have one. It's well worth the money if you use a cooler a lot. They are rock solid. I can stand on mine in the boat to use as a casting platform. I've put two pork butts FTC in my Yeti for 8 hours and they were piping hot.

They are relatively heavy but that is because they are built so well. I have a Yeti 45 quart and it weighs 22 pounds. Should last a lifetime.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I will get a yeti once they make one with wheels. I have a Coleman max that is pretty big and says it will hold ice for 5 days. If it was stuffed full of just ice and not opened it may last 5 days but with meat probably 2-3 days but I love that I can throw my mini or small on it and wheel it wherever I want on my cooler.
  • jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    Options
    Why not use a cart?
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    I just got up to Kansas this weekend for a race and unused my 50 and my Roadie for the trip, had them outside my trailer and a guy comes up and starts talking about the Yeti and tells me he has the biggest one they make.
    We talk Yeti shop for a while then the guy says "You ever here if a BGE?"
    YEP!
    Guy tells me he just bought it today and it was in his trailer and he is taking it back to Texas.
    Long story short we talk BGE and Yetis for two hours and don't get crap done on the cars.
    A Yeti cooler to me is like owning a BGE, it's the best around.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    We bought the 45 qt Pelican (amazon) for 220 for the GA Mountain fest. And it is amazing. Highly recommend this.
    The only down side is the weight, even empty it is heavy.
    Upside on day four ice is at the same level as day one and almost one solid frozen block.
    Next time i will start will start with 10 pound block ice and loose ice in ziplock bags.
    Btw 2 bags ice went in on monday nite. Added some ice more on tuesday to top off the drinks. Last nite at pre pre fest party had to chisel out the drinks.
    We are both real fanatics when transporting food (too many course in bacti) and i felt really confident about the chorizo we were bring to the fest.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

I kind of want one too for camping and such.  However, I really don't get to camp that often so it is hard for me to justify.  Right now I just pack a bigger cooler than I need with lots of ice and it still has ice after a couple of days of camping.  So, the only practical advantage I see is I could use less ice and perhaps take up less space.  Just my $.02.

I used to say I didn't need a $900 grill/smoker too tho ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Options
    My motto has always been - buy it right, buy it once.

There are many like it, but none that stack up to the quality and ability of a Yeti. The best around indeed. Much like our BGE. Many subsitutes, but none that match it.
  • EGGerAllanPoe
    Options
    I bought a Roadie during Christmas time. It's very durable and I probably won't buy another cooler again. I rarely use it so its hard to justify my $200 cooler. However, I have it when I do need it and it should last a lifetime like the BGE.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."

RTR