Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Carnitas finished on the steel

been wanting carnitas lately so i read up on the subject. i eventually got here: http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/07/the-food-lab-how-to-make-crisp-and-juicy-carnitas-without-a-bucket-of-lard.html

so i decided on adding lard to my boston butt pieces and covering it tightly, as i had leftover lard from hot smoking bacon this week. 
pork pieces with seasonings:

smeared with bacon lard and the boston butt fat cap placed on top for extra drippings:

In the egg for 4 hours at 250f. completely sealed with new maverick temp probes so i can watch the temp as i sit inside now! It took 2 hours to reach 200f and then i kept it there another 2 hours, in that time it raised to 214, which next time i will try to avoid and keep it closer to 200-208. 

here it is after resting for 20mins... fat cap still not gone, maybe longer next time? i drained the fat and juices and got rid of the fat cap. 

pulled..this wasn't the whole thing, i removed some in a bowl to fry outside. this is leftovers that got vacuum sealed.

on the baking steel! steel temp was 330f, the dome was about 350.

more griddle action 

all done and ready to be in taco heaven 

on homemade tortillas before adding cheese and sour cream..

today for lunch im cooking up leftovers and i think i will fry the carnitas a little longer, i was just afraid of drying it out but other than that it ruled! 

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Most of the recipes i see for carnitas have it cooking in cast iron, i'm suprised the foil can handle it?  It looks good.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Strong cook. Looks so good.

XLBGE 
  • Most of the recipes i see for carnitas have it cooking in cast iron, i'm suprised the foil can handle it?  It looks good.
    i have never cooked it before, so i don't know if cast iron would of been superior. it just felt like the right size i wanted, plus i had a few other foil pans underneath it so it wasn't touching the platesetter directly.  
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I came across a recipe that had me cook it in a covered cast iron enameled pot at 400 degrees!!  It cooked very fast.  I wasn't sure about it's outcome so i found a small butt and tried it.  It wasn't bad, not near as tender as a normal cooked pork butt, but if you were in a hurry for some sammies, it works !