Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pulled BBQ chicken

When you don't have time to make pulled pork, make pulled chicken! Bonless thighs, rubbed, cooked direct 350 ish, with a chunk of apple for a heavy smoke. Cooked to 160 IT in approx 20 minutes. Also did two ears of sweet corn, pulled husk back, cleaned silk, removed some leaves, added EVOO, and salt. Tied husks back closed, they where on bge for about 30 minutes. In the house, simmered store bbq sauce with Root beer to thin the sauce. Chicken was shredded and tossed with bbq sauce. Coleslaw was from deli. A few cheats, but took care of the craving for BBQ.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Looks real good but isn't 160* a little light for pulling? I usually go 200* or higher

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Sammich looks good. I have done this with spatchcock but I took it to about 170ish in the breast

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • LTAFlynEgg
    LTAFlynEgg Posts: 84
    Sounds like next time I should cook to higher IT? It did pull kind of hard, was more of a shred then pull. It was firm to the touch, but very most. To go up to 200 do you have to go low and slow to not dry out the chicken? But I suppose adding BBQ makes up for that? I was looking for a fast cook as well for use on weekday.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Doesn't take a whole lot longer. It falls apart like pulled pork. Wasn't trying to criticize at all

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I catch the sale on leg quarters and cook ten pounds high up in the dome - indirect at 350 to 375 degrees to 200 degrees.  Then strip the meat off the bones and chop it as if pulled.  It's not near as good as "pulled pork" sandwiches, but a strong second!  Looks like a great sandwich!! 
  • LTAFlynEgg
    LTAFlynEgg Posts: 84
    @littleSteven no offense taken, always glad to learn, that's half the reason to post a cook. Suggestions for improvement are always welcome, might not always be followed..... :D
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Looks great to me, like the other guys have said when I do pulled chicken thighs I go to somewhere between 185-200 depending on how crispy/charred the skin is getting. Most of the time it is a very tasty alternative to pulled pork when you are short on time. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704
    165ish in the thigh works just fine for me when we're eating chicken off the bone, but maybe a higher IT would work better for pulling/shredding? We weren't eating chicken for a while (just kinda forgot about it) but we rediscovered it recently.  Will add this to the list. Thanks! :) 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Doing the same with a full spatchcocked chicken and forks.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Looks great and a cool idea for a quick BBQ sammie.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Nice looking dinner. Glad you posted it and others gave advice as I've never "pulled" chicken before. Think I might have to try it soon.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Bookmarked!  Great idea for a quick and easy.
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $