Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looks like this is the weekend for Butts

HDmstng
HDmstng Posts: 192
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
Making some pulled pork for Mother's Day and inlaws plus going to take in some to work on Monday to share.  I had 14lbs of boston butt in the freezer for a little over 2 months now.  Pulled them on Thursday night to defrost in the fridge but this morning took a few hours in cold water in the sink to get them 90% of the way defrosted.

Initially was going to inject with Italian dressing, but decided against it.  Did two different combo rubs, first was Dizzy Dust and Red Eye Express, the second was Dizzy Dust and Applewood Rub from McCormick.  Followed by a slathering of yellow mustard and a second application of the rubs.  Using a few chunks of applewood for smoke.

There are a couple of firsts too, using the HighQ grate and the DigiQ X2 I bought from a member on here.  Am a bit weary as we had lots of storms last night, but hoping we are through for the day.  The DigiQ is in a ziplock bag, the extension cord plug is in sideways bucket but still need to figure a way to protect the fan.

Waiting for the DigiQ and the Dome thermo to get close now.  Was reading 205 at the grid vs 305 on the dome.  Both are calibrated, so just waiting for the platesetter to get warmed I guess.

Comments

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Grab a cocktail, throw those bitches on, and bask in the glory of the Egg!
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    I've got one cooking as welll today, Turbo
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    The thread title made me believe you were at the beach.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    edited May 2013
    Ended up cooking at 250 +/- 10F for 7 hours until I hit an IT of 180 or 190.  Cranked it up to 300 at 8PM and at 920 pulled them off with IT's of 200 to 210.  The one on the left is a bit dry (will be taking that one into work) and the one on the left was much better moisture wise.  Pulled them off a bit late though, was dealing with my 2.5 year old not wanting to go to bed and the 9 week old wanting to be fed.

Had already shut down the Egg and was putting the DigiQ and Maverick away when it began to rain.  

Really liked using the DigiQ, still  have a bit of a learning curve on it. Ended up running it with the damper open half way and the DW petals fully open.  Dome and grid temp still ended being about 50F off at the end, but better than the 100F when I first started out.  

One strange thing I noticed was water in the DigiQ fan coming out.  There was also some congealed glop too.  We've had a lot of rain, my platesetter had been out, so maybe the Egg absorbed a lot water?

As for the combo rubs, I'm done with the McCormick Applewood.  I've used it twice and just don't care for the flavor.  Did enjoy the Dizzy Dust and Red Eye Express combo.