Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder Injection Suggestions

Options
2»

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Martinelli's apple juice with pulp and kosher salt (only add the salt if the butt hasn't been "enhanced").
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    i use elder wards vinegar sauce, last time someone brought over a sauce that was heavy with honey, as it cooked the sauce built up and burnt on the exterior. i would stay with a very thin style sauce
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    Martinelli's apple juice with pulp and kosher salt (only add the salt if the butt hasn't been "enhanced").

I find it difficult to inject pulp.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    smokeyw said:

I find it difficult to inject pulp.
    Use a wider gauge side injecting needle
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I use a cup of apple juice with a 1/4 cup of rub I am using on the outside.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • GaryLange
    Options
    I use Myron Mixon's Hog Injection! It works very well for me and pleases the wife to no end.

Hog Injection

1 qt Apple Juice

1 Cup Dist. White Vinegar

1-1/4lbs Sugar

½ Cup Salt

¼ Cup Accent

• Nashville_Egger
    Options
    I've never injected and every butt I've done has turned out amazingly well.

My advice would be to:

Night before:
    -Slather in yellow mustard for an adhesive 
    -sprinkle generously with a good rub. (I use 3 little pigs kansas city butt rub - available at my Lowes)
    -cover and leave in fridge overnight

Next day:
    -Get your egg hot to around 200ish degrees and leave it there until the "black smoke" burns off
    -Once black smoke clears, throw on about 5 or 6 chunks of hickory wood
    -Add plate setter, drip pan, and normal grate
    -I don't put any water, apple cider, or anything in the drip pan
    -Put pork on, put thermometer wire in thickest part of pork, Shut lid
    -Get your temperature to stabilize somewhere between 225 and 250 (doesn't have to be super precise)
    -Let it cook until the internal temperature of the meat is about 200 degrees. I don't open the lid, spritz with water or vinegar, or foil or anything.  It will stall somewhere in the 180s usually but just keep that lid closed and keep it rolling.

Take meat off egg:
    -When the internal temperature is around 200, take the meat off the egg and wrap in foil and stick it in an empty cooler for an hour or so to rest. It will still be very hot.

Simple as that.  I don't fool with injection or anything fancy and it turns out great and moist every time with an excellent bark.  I think sometimes people get too complicated with their butts.  Try it and see what you think.
    Large BGE - Nashville, TN
  • Action_Hank
    Options
    I start with Chris Lilly's and sometimes substitute some of the salts and sugar with my rub, rum, and/or sriracha.  
    "It's not the beard on the outside that counts, its the beard on the INSIDE."

LBGE   -   Lexington, KY