Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Spatchcocked Duck

thetrim
thetrim Posts: 11,352
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
Thought I'd try something new.  I'm a big fan of Maple Leaf Farm Ducks and have done too many breasts to count.  This was my first try of a whole 6 lb duck. 

Done on the bottom portion of my swing rack indirect w a drip pan.  Got the egg to 300.  At one hour I added 4 thin sliced Yukon Golds and 1/2 of a thin sliced Vidalia Onion w two sprigs of rosemary chopped off the stem.

Temp climbed to 350.

Final time was 3 hours.  Internal of 180.  Next time, I'll maintain temp at 275 and let more of the fat render, remove the drip pan and crisp the skin up a little more before the finish.

All in all, it was great and the potatoes were amazing.  I need to grill at least one duck per month.
=======================================
XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
Tampa Bay, FL
EIB 6 Oct 95

Comments