Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Kiss My Pork Butt And Pork Chops Goodbye!"

Options

This month's National BBQ News has an article that U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the National Pork Board(NPB) have officially changed the name of some of our meats.  Example: "Chops from the rib section of the loin , previously called "strip chops" or "strip steaks", will now be called "ribeyes", which is the same as beef steaks from the same location.  Chops from further back will be called "T-Bone Chops", same as strip steaks, and at the end of the chain, "Porterhouse Chops".

Under the new system, "pork butt" which is from the hog's shoulder, not rear end, will be called the "Boston Roast".......

Comments

• fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Options
    It's still a pork butt in my opinion
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    edited May 2013
    Options
    You hadn't heard about that? One of the dumber-er things I'd come across in the past few months. I guess the pork producers want to position pork as not only the "other white meat," but also the "other beef."

Just for grins, here's what I expect:

"May I take your order?"

"Yes, I'd like a ribeye."

"Will that be beef or pork, sir?"

<pause>
    "Why, neither. I want rabbit."

"I'm sorry, sir, but we' are not that kind of establishment. We only offer pork or beef rib-eye. "

" '!' "Why?" "

"Chef is uncomfortable offering guests meat eaten w. tweezers..."

"Then, caribou?"

"Not today, sir."

"O.K., never mind. I'll have boloney sandwich."

"Very well! Our special of the day is filet d' bologna. Or might I recommend the filet d' bologna paired with a filet o' fish."

Etc.

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    I got to say I never knew why they called it butt in the first place.  Took me a while to understand it. 
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    new name, same taste.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    A pork butt by any other name..... Will still smell AWESOME while cooking on the egg.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    Government money well spent.
    Flint, Michigan
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Apologies to Fishless, and any other New England eggers, but IMHO Sam adams, and the pork butt are the best things to ever come out of there. ;)

wait, throw in lobster roll. 
    +1 on real Boston Baked Beans. 
    :D

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    tazcrash said:
    Apologies to Fishless, and any other New England eggers, but IMHO Sam adams, and the pork butt are the best things to ever come out of there. ;)

wait, throw in lobster roll. 

:D

Ahh, fishless once posted that "Boston baked beans" meant baked, not steamed or pressure cooked. Not long after that, I tried baking them in a DO. Nothin' from a can comes close. Do add BBBeans to your list. And maybe some chowdah.