Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Beef Question

Options
I am wanting to do pulled beef this weekend. I saw (2) beef roasts at Kroger this afternoon. One says "Beef Chuck Shoulder Roast" and the other says "Beef Chuck Roast Boneless". Which one do you guys use and is there a difference? Thanks in advance.
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I made a mistake buying "Boneless Bottom Beef Roast" over the weekend and went thru the motions to make pulled beef.   It just didn't have enough fat to pull, it cooked itself dry.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Offhand I think they are both find to use. One was just cut for a roast. You want chuck shoulder.
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578
    Options
    Thanks guys.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • cbr0011
    cbr0011 Posts: 93
    Options
    Chuck Shoulder? Great guy, knew him in high school. He knew how to party.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I made a mistake buying "Boneless Bottom Beef Roast" over the weekend and went thru the motions to make pulled beef.   It just didn't have enough fat to pull, it cooked itself dry.
    Yeah, done that before, top & bottom roast don't pull well (and I believe they come from from the "back end" of the cow, not the shoulder),   I assume anything with "chuck" in the name comes from the shoulder and is good and fatty, just the way you want it.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I will stick to with "chuck roast" from now on -- twenty bucks wasted for the meat wasn't bad, but the cooking effort of course is worse!  But it was a learning experience.  Thats what it all about.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    I will stick to with "chuck roast" from now on -- twenty bucks wasted for the meat wasn't bad, but the cooking effort of course is worse!  But it was a learning experience.  Thats what it all about.
    My bottom roast was tough and barely pulled.  I chopped it and make the best of it but learned my lesson.
    Packerland, Wisconsin